Sexing Cichlids

</STRONG></DIV><H1>Venting</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cbrian2</STRONG><BR><BR>I read what Slotha and danceswithdingoes provided me in my other post about venting but i am still a little bit confuse...

<br>

after turning the fish upside down do u have to squeeze the fish vent part to c the eggtube or bend the tail a little or not??

<br>

i mean can u determine the sex of the fish by just looking at the opening of the vent???

<br>

what if there r 2 fish one is small and the other one is bigger, both are mature and the same species, won't the bigger fish have a bigger opening in the vent even if it is a male???

<br>

or u just have to compare the opening of the vent with the size of the anus...

<br>

can anybody with experienced shed a light on this as i would like to determine the gender of my fish tomorrow as i am moving them to a new tank...

<br>

thanks...

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>It's a comparison thing. Don't squeeze the fish! Just hold it. It becomes plainer if you can see a male and see a female, if you have examples of both sex then the difference is plainer. If you only have examples of one sex you may be trying to look for differences that aren't there. Try putting them into two containers A type and B type (e.g. same ... same ... different) and then decide which sex is which (e.g. A=females, B=males) rather than trying to decide what sex the first fish is without having others to compare it to.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cbrian2</STRONG><BR><BR>thanks fiona...

<br>

i did exactly what u said...saw the difference with the definite males and females but still find it difficult with the others...

<br>

i guess venting comes with experience...

Archived