Feeding Fry 2

Ged

</STRONG></DIV><H1>Good fry food?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bennieboy</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey all,

<br>

<br>

I have some Malawi fry and was wondering what would be the best food for them?

<br>

<br>

They have been on thier own for two weeks now and im feedin them that fry forumla which i dont like becasue it is so messy and some micro worms but the weather isnt helping the worms grow as quick as i like.

<br>

<br>

I tried crushing up flakes but they stuck togtehr and ended up as little balls?

<br>

<br>

would brine shrimp or anythign like that be good for them?

<br>

<br>

thanks

<br>

<br>

benny

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mbuna1</STRONG><BR><BR>try crushing up cichlid pellets

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi. You only want to feed brine as a treat. Not good for a staple diet, As mentioned, try crushing pellet's, and continue trying to crush flakes in your fingers, then sprinkle on the water. Good luck.

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlid Boy</STRONG><BR><BR>Baby brine shrimp (either live or frozen) is a good first food. You can also buy Wardley's Liquid Fry Food.

<br>

<br>

Vitakraft also make a powdered fry food which my fish seem to love.

<br>

Then there is Sera who make a pre-powdered flake mix.

<br>

For larger fry there is a (tiny) pellet called 'Grow' by New Life Spectrum which is excellent.

<br>

<br>

Or, as mentioned, you can crush your own flake or pellets. I have found the best way to do this is put the food in a clip-lock bag and go over it many times with a rolling pin. This is the cheapest option but not the most convenient/safest, as you always end up with pieces too big for your fish to swallow - I have had to remove a chunk of pellet from a baby's mouth with a toothpick after it had been lodged in there for 48 hours. You would have thought the food would soften and disintegrate, but it didn't.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Leonie23</STRONG><BR><BR>Hello

<br>

<br>

We put Hikari Cichlid Gold Pellets into an old pepper grinder for our fry, works well. However, just remember which is the fish food and which is the pepper come Sunday morning breaky - yep you guessed it, it happened in our household

<br>

<br>

Leonie

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: The Cichlid Man</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Benny,

<br>

On all of my fry i use the wardley weekend feeder blocks as a daily source of food the fry love it, i have Lionheads at the moment and they are going through it very quickly. Also i use the Wardley liquid fry food that Travis suggested or some aqualife vegetable sticks (Only a couple) and i will give them frozen baby brine shrimp twice a week.

<br>

<br>

But i must say the weekend feeders work very well just to get them going in the beginning. Ever since i have started using them my success rate on fry staying alive is awesome because they can pick at it all day long.

<br>

<br>

Hope all goes well.

<br>

<br>

Regards,

<br>

Ben

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mazimbwe</STRONG><BR><BR>OK, what I have found is the bets way to crush flake(never tried with pellets but don;t see why it wouldn't be just as good) is. Put you flake food in the freezer, go to some big retail mob and buy a "Mortar & Pestl". By the time you get home the flake food should be frozen enough to get started. Try a small amount at first and get your technique down pat...and the smaller your fry the more you grind. Once you are happy with the general consitency put it into a container and gently shake it from side to side, the bigger bits will rise to the top. Put them back into the Mortar and put the small stuff in a packet for later.

<br>

<br>

Hope that helps

Archived