Brine Shrimp

Ged

</DIV><H1>Brine Shrimp Help</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Ian</STRONG><BR><BR>i managed to hatch a heap of them, probably about 80% or so in a soft drink bottle.

<br>

<br>

only problem is getting them out

<br>

<br>

i tried pouring the water over a cloth but i ended up with a heap of unhatched eggs over the spot i poured it on. i couldnt see any brine on the cloth though. they were probably there somewhere, just way too hard to spot.

<br>

<br>

my question is.... is there any way i can get the shrimp out without either adding salt water to the tank or letting any unhatched eggs into the tank?

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Anita ozfish</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Ian,

<br>

<br>

Is your bottle upside down?

<br>

It should be. Screw on the cap, get an airline fitting (the type that goes into pipe) and put through cap. Attach the airline to that and control the air flow with a valve.

<br>

All the water, eggs and salt are added via a hole at the top (bottom) of the bottle. When you want to strain the shrimp, turn off the air TOTALLY. Let it all settle for a few minutes - live shrimp will sink and the eggs will float. Then pull the airline off the bottletop and strain through a hankie into an old jar and 'voila'........newly hatched brine shrimp.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: DLDingo</STRONG><BR><BR>I use the bottles up the right way with no probs.

<br>

Put the bottle somewhere dim, shine a torch or lamp on one side only. The shrimp will swim over to the light after about 10 mins. Use a piece of rigid pipe/tube (like in UGfilters the bit attatched to the air stone) join the rigid tubing to regular tubing and suck out the Bshrimp and spit them onto a container with a cloth strainer tied on with a rubber band.

<br>

Shine the torch below where the egg cases float and the Bsphrimp can be sucked out without eggcases. They will always swim to the light so this way you get every last one of them.

<br>

Have a long roll of tube so you dont swallow any.

<br>

This works with any clear container not just coke bottles.

<br>

Dianna

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Use a small torch about half way down and the instars will gather there, just syphon them up with a turkey baster or similar onto a fine cloth that you could use to rinse them in aged fresh-water.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: tiger</STRONG><BR><BR>whats wrong with a bit of salted water going in your tank ???

<br>

aged water plus brine shrimp .......whats the problem??

<br>

i havegrown and fed newly hatched brine shrimp.(with a little bit of solution )to goldfish .....koi.....cichlids ...on many occasions.......never a problem

<br>

Kevin

Archived