Stripping Fry

</DIV><H1>When to strip to have free swimming fry.</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

i would like to know how long it takes until the fries are freeswimming. When is a good time to strip without using an

<br>

egg tumbler?

<br>

<br>

thanx

<br>

hung

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>After 15 days or so.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>hey david,

<br>

<br>

I should of asked this as well before, how do u strip the female without causing any serious stress and preventing her from swallowing and etc

<br>

<br>

thanx

<br>

Hung

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>What fish is it Hung?

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>its a female interruptus... i heard that they are not good mothers is that true?

<br>

<br>

Also by the looks of it my female fuellerboni will be holding tomorrow as well.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>on the contrary - I think most mbunas (interuptus included) are great parents... catch her carefully - gently hold her vertically into a bucket of water... most fish will spit at this point.

<br>

<br>

Some ppl use a fingernail to gently open the mouth... all my fish know when they are being held vertically in a bucket that the best way to get back into the main tank is to spit (i have them trained

).

<br>

<br>

I would be very gentle about it - otherwise you can kill the female.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>would that be vertically with her head dipped in the water or above?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: b3110</STRONG><BR><BR>try to have the mouth of the female just above the water. if it doesn't spit then use something with a soft end to hold the mouth open (less chance of hurting the fish).

<P><STRONG>Author: Cam04</STRONG><BR><BR>If you are going to use something soft to open a fish's mouth, try a cotton bud. Place it gently on the lips then roll downwards (towards the bottom jaw). Generally the teeth will catch on the cotton and the jaws ease open.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: b3110</STRONG><BR><BR>try to have the mouth of the female just above the water. if it doesn't spit then use something with a soft end to hold the mouth open (less chance of hurting the fish).

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danros129</STRONG><BR><BR>I use a toothpick very carefully and a light shake to get them out.

<br>

If the egg is still attached i woulkdnt be too concerned

<br>

With this method i probably loose 2 out of 50 fry . pretty good odds.

<br>

But they do grow quicker free swimming

<br>

Archived