Kribensis

</DIV><H1>Kribensis</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey,

<br>

Im am interested in keeping these guys.

<br>

Do you know if they eat plants or hassle bn if they are breeding?

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>Kribs don't eat plants.

<br>

Kribs do "hassle" anything that comes near their eggs or babies. They drive them away but do not pursue to the death, just so long as a distance is kept. That's my experience. Make sure you have space for other fish to be driven to in safety if you have them.

<br>

I would think about keeping catfish and kribs apart when kribs are breeding as kribs lay eggs inside a cave, and catfish may enter the cave and eat them.

Fiona L.S.

<br>

Author: Melbourne Bill</STRONG><BR><BR>I would also suggest that you have at least a 2 foot breeding tank (if you are using a breeding tank) with sufficient plants and caves so that the male can take refuge when the fry are free swimming.

<br>

The female will generally not allow the male to take part in the close care of fry. He is generally restricted to patrolling the boundary of their territory and he will also be bashed if he makes the mistake of getting too close.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanx fiona and bill.

<br>

Now i just have to go look around for them.

<br>

They sound like convicts..the breeding behavior is similar.

<p>

Author: Melbourne Bill</STRONG><BR><BR>There are some very nice strains/locality types of P.taeniatus around at the moment - one of the newest ones is P taeniatus bipindi

<br>

Another nice "krib" is P. sacromontis

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: citypainter</STRONG><BR><BR>The Pelvicachromis pulcher, (not sure on spellig), variety are my favourite Kribensis.

<br>

How ever I found that Bristlenose can easily beat the Kribs.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Really,

<br>

so bn and kribs in a 2-3ft tank wont hurt each other?

<br>

Will breeding be interrupted or fry be eaten?

<br>

Punchbowl,Sydney.</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Melbourne Bill</STRONG><BR><BR>Would never keep BN with breeding kribs - the BN will raid the nest and eat the eggs/fry.

<br>

Kribs dont have the size/power to deter the BN thou they will definitely try to defend their eggs/fry.

<br>

A risk you definitely run will be that mum decides that dad was somehow to blame for the loss - and will kill him.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Oh i see,

<br>

so what can i keep with kribs???

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Melbourne Bill</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi

<br>

In a two foot tank - nothing as there will not be sufficient room to escape from a breeding pair. I once did a foolish thing of having six neons in such a tank - they were quickly murdered as soon as the pair spawned.

<br>

In a 3ft tank - how about some congo tetras? They are pretty docile schooling fish and do not seem to be intent on raiding the young so there is a fairly peaceful existence. Aussie rainbows would be another choice but they are fast and see fry as a meal so you are going to lose many of the fry.

<br>

If you want to breed kribs, the best answer is just one pair in a two foot tank. In a 3 ft tank you may get two pairs of kribs co-existing peacefully (eg two different locality types of P taeniatus).

<br>

Most (probably all of the Australian availability) of the krib tribes will not cross-breed so you have no problems there. In fact a male of one tribe will often kill a stray female of a different tribe

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>i think 2ft tank for the pair sounds good.

<br>

Archived