Led power consumption vs fluorescent tubes

hph

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting one of those LED light tubes that has a mixture of blue and white leds to replace my T8s. The led tubes are rated with a higher wattage than my T8 (20W). I was told by the lfs that the leds uses less electricity. How can that be given that the leds are rated much higher ?

• 1 month later...

It depends on the light output of the LED's. The one's Marine hobbiests use are not the same that freshwater people will use as there is no point and power will be wasted. In general the standard stuff is much lower wattage than fluro tubes (at least 1/2 to 1/4 of 20W). You just need to search around.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I currently use solar lighting in my garage, a 12 volt system which use LED.

Seeing as my garage is in blackness all day I couldn't justify having my normal lights on til I got home from work. It only cost me a couple of hundred to set the system up. I can have the lights run all day (which puts out a good amount of light)and still have the battery charge at the same time.

Something you might want to consider..........

Cheers,

Steve.

in some of my tanks (4 footers) im using a 10 watt led Spot light i can adjust how bright i want it and also adjust color as well i have tested the consumtion and its spot on at 10 watts on full brightness i normaly run it at half way and it consumes 5 watts and it lights up really well also the led will last 60.000 hrs so alot of years out of it .

i also have seen steves set up and its great and cost nothing to run and plenty of light .

Cheers

Lionel

Archived