Mixing GT and Fronts

black4tress

Hi,

Have a 6ft tank with pair of 6 bar Fronts, 10 yellows and some plecos. Was wondering if putting a green terror in there would make life miserable for the others ? I also have some juvenile fronts and D Comps that will be going into the 6ft at a later date.

Your thoughts on getting a GT - awesome fish ?

Thanks in advance.

Your thoughts on getting a GT - awesome fish ?

an awesome fish they are , but I think it would stirr up a few problems once it reaches a decent size ( also one they are a decent size they tend to live up to their name of green terror )

I agree with wonna, they would definitely cause a bit of trouble once settled. There are alot more peaceful cichlids out there (with a similiar size and shape to a GT) and I don't think water parameters should really limit your selection just as long as the fish aren't wildcaught and you're not adding any buffers (substrate included).

hmmmm - you know, of the South Americans you are probably more likely to get away with it with the GT because they have a wider tolerance range than a lot of others, but to say that water conditions should not limit your choice is very poor advice. Might as well put some discus in there while you are at it. There is also more to incompatibility than just water conditions. Behavioural incompatibility is also an issue. These fish have different stress and aggression signals and triggers that can be misinterpretted resulting in disharmony. Putting GT into a tank with established fronnies may be an issue too unless the tank is rearranged or other measures taken.

hmmmm - you know, of the South Americans you are probably more likely to get away with it with the GT because they have a wider tolerance range than a lot of others, but to say that water conditions should not limit your choice is very poor advice. Might as well put some discus in there while you are at it. There is also more to incompatibility than just water conditions. Behavioural incompatibility is also an issue. These fish have different stress and aggression signals and triggers that can be misinterpretted resulting in disharmony. Putting GT into a tank with established fronnies may be an issue too unless the tank is rearranged or other measures taken.

:dntknw: It seems you've misintepreted my comment Simon.

First of all, the actual water parameters of the tank are still yet to be known. If he was actually buffering his pH 8+, then yes it would be fairly poor advice but I did mention that. If you interpret me correctly I'm on the assumption that he isn't buffering his water and that it is typical Sydney tap water which is around pH 6-7. This is more than suitable for many SA's (discus included) and would be also suitable for many African species. Many communty tanks do exist with species from different continents and water parameters, but I know that you are aware of this.

I believe the behaviour and temperament is the more crucial factor rather than the water parameters of the origin of the fish. Hence I stated that I agreed with what wonna said regarding the GT's aggressive behaviour and to consider a more peaceful species.

I agree with Simon. :yes:

Do not put green terrors with frontosa. You'll end up with one of your fish living in water that is not suited to them. You'll also have more chance of having hole in the head with the green terror the closer the pH gets to 8.0. (this is my point of view and I have personally experienced this).

Thanks,

You all make valid points. I did have a GT quite a few years ago and seeing a couple on the forums just brought back memorys - good and bad. I know they can be a nasty piece of work with others and forgot about the different regions also.

I'll give them a miss for now.

Thanks

Forget everything that you have heard.

They can all live together easy in the same water. GT's are hardy. Its really about the personality of the individual fish.

Most should be fine. I have done it b4 and I am doing it now. (Mixing Africans with Americans.

No problem if you choose the correct species.

Forget everything that you have heard.

They can all live together easy in the same water. GT's are hardy. Its really about the personality of the individual fish.

Most should be fine. I have done it b4 and I am doing it now. (Mixing Africans with Americans.

No problem if you choose the correct species.

Yes, thanks. I agree with you also though some enthusiast are very particular about water conditions/ regions etc and to some degree I would agree with them.

Previously had them in with an Arowana, some africans, plecos etc and they were all fine - lived pretty long and (as far as I can see healthy) lives. So I know where your coming from also.

I may revisit this at a later date.

Thanks all.

Archived