Building a Tank

Ged

</DIV><H1>Building a Tank</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dusmeselecta</STRONG><BR><BR>I am considering building an 8x2x2 and was just wanting to know the glass thickness required. I reckon 11mm should do it, but should the base be thicker?

<br>

<br>

Also what sort of re-inforcements need to be built into the corners, I was planning on using strips of off cut glass.

<br>

<br>

And how trust worthy should I be of the final product? has anyone ever had or heard of an aquarium silicone disaster.

<br>

<br>

I wouldnt mind building a 6x2x2 also, would the glass thickness vary as compared to the 8 footer. My dovii and fronnies will appreciate the advice.

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mazimbwe</STRONG><BR><BR>Will 11mm be thick enough?? I would want the base to be made with thicker glass if I was commisioning the tank from you...maybe 20mm base. I'm not sure about the rest but my 6ft'er is made from 10mm glass frony, back and side...just not the bottom.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: sgrunter</STRONG><BR><BR>8x2x2 and 6x2x2 are 10mm all round!

<br>

I have had no problems with mine!

<br>

A thicker base would certainly be preferred-12mm or 15mm max!

<br>

All the best with this endevour mate!

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>Sooty is right on all glass sizes

<br>

<br>

For an 8x2x2 10mm will do, 12mm base preferred but you can get away with a 10mm... Corner reinforcements aren't necessary if constructed well. You will need two top braces around 350mm wide (dividing the top of the tank into three access ports).

<br>

<br>

Good luck on your project! The art of tank building is certainately one to master, and I admire your courage!

<br>

<br>

Oh, and while I'm here... Anyone know where to get cheap glass for tank building? Best I could find was 10mm for $110/sq metre! By the time you do the maths, it's cheaper to get one built for that price...

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: JonFishin</STRONG><BR><BR>I'm from a lot smaller communtiy (12k) lol and we are family friends with the local glass repairers so I have built all my tanks myself FOR FREE!

<br>

<br>

My display tank is 4x4x2 6mm glass with the 6mm bottom, the dude gave me the glass, angle and silicone for my b'day n me n a mate built it.

<br>

<br>

But I recently went back lookin for offcuts for a 3' and he had an old 6mm shop front that he just gave me. The glass was still in good nick so try askin ur local glass repairs shop, if they don't give it to ya I'm sure u could it a lot cheaper. Might work out well if u wanted that thicker base too.

<br>

<br>

HTH

<br>

<br>

Jon

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>Ohhh, free. I'm envious...

<br>

<br>

$110/sq meter made building my 5x2x2 approx $450 for the glass alone..... eek... I can buy one for less than that

<br>

<br>

Archived