DYI Lighting

Ged

</DIV><H1>Cheap lighting...</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>hi everyone,

<br>

<br>

i notice a lighting warehouse near where i live, so i would like to assemble together a 3ft double globe light..........

<br>

<br>

I have no electrical knowledge at all so can someone guide me through it and pics of lights that you have made would be great.

<br>

<br>

Thanx

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>Mate, its very simple. When you buy a double flouro batten, it will cost less than $25, usually with a pair of cool white tubes, which arent of much use for a fish tank, but fine for your house if you have a fitting. The batten wont be wired up, if you take the cover off, there will be a plastic fitting with three screw that you need to connect up to a 3 pin plug, which you can just buy a cheap extension cable and chop the end off and wire it up.

<br>

<br>

I have done this before, but I am not an electrician, if you have a mate that is a sparky, it will literally be a 5 minute job for him to show you how to do it.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: eedward</STRONG><BR><BR>sounds easy enough to do!

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Sounds easy..

<br>

i will give it a try and im also thinking of a timer and getting some fluoro globes there too.

<br>

<br>

Any advice??

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>I make my own lighting reflectors from timber. They are similar size and shape to the lights you will buy from your lfs, and I just buy a domestic fitting like has already been discussed and mount it in the reflector.

<br>

I's a much cheaper option, which works much better in my experience.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>Also sounds like it might be attractive, esp. if you stained the timber to match existing furniture/the stand. How do you get the reflector bit operating? Paint the interior white? Got any pics Glenn?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys,

<br>

<br>

i have done some research.....however most of the stuff i have read is related to building lights from scratch like buying ballasts, starters, end caps etc....

<br>

<br>

i have decided to buy the 3ft twin fluoro batten and attach it to the wood reflector mentioned by baz... and also have the would lined with mylar in the inside as a reflective material.

<br>

<br>

What do you guys think?????

<br>

<br>

Mylar is found in hydroponics store and looks like this....

<br>

mylar

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Davo67</STRONG><BR><BR>Hungsta,

<br>

<br>

I lined my 4x2x2 light hood with mylar and the difference in regards to the original lining (white film) was amazing. I just bought some spray on adhesive from a hardware shop (don't buy the cheap stuff, 3M is the best) and stuck it on. I got my mylar from a hydro shop at Bondi Junction for $6 a metre. The roll is about 2ft wide.

<br>

<br>

Dave.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys,

<br>

<br>

thanx for the info dave...will add the spray on adhesive to the list...

<br>

<br>

I have been to several lighting places today and they do not carry a double fluoro batten for a 3ft... apparently it is not a very common size. Does anyone know a lighting place that has 3ft size???

<br>

<br>

Also i have seen 30w nec triphosphor tubes for $12 and nec biolux that was labelled 'for fish' and it was $15.

<br>

<br>

I also saw phillips triophosphor at $6 but they do not have 30 ones.

<br>

<br>

What do you guys recommend i do???

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Oh yeah i also saw 2ft double batten for $27

<br>

and 4ft for $35.

<br>

<br>

I did see one 3ft but it wasnt a bare batten and it had a cover on it. Do you think i can buy that and remove the cover????

<br>

<br>

<br>

Questions!!!

<br>

<br>

Where to find triphosphor tubes cheap and for a 3ft light?

<br>

Where to find a double 3ft bare batten cheap?

<br>

Where did you go to get ur batten and tubes???

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>Hungsta:

The answer to all 3 questions is an electrical wholesaler, or a lighting store.

<br>

I get mine from a shop called Shaboa but it is up here in the mountains. There are similar shops in the big smoke I am sure. Try the yellow pages.

<br>

<br>

Fiona:

<br>

Mine are currently just made from mdf, painted gloss white on the inside and sprayed matt black on the outside. They blend in well without being too much of an eyesore, but I certainly would not call them a 'feature' lol.

<br>

I am sure you could do the same thing with pine or some other timber which would look nice stained.

<br>

<br>

I am about to make a few more, using 'melamine' (i hope that it how it is spelt) which is that white laminated mdf. That way I wont need to paint the inside at all.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: MagicaDiSpell</STRONG><BR><BR>Baz,

<br>

If you are using melamine, be careful that no water (or water vapour) is splashing at it. Melamine is not very water resistant (as can be seen on my kitchen drawers that showed swelling within 6 months of being installed! Grrrrrr! And they don't get much water on them at all!). Your MDF version with lacquer is probably more waterresistent than melamine.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>I should also add:

<br>

<br>

The official SCP response is:

<br>

<br>

Get an licensed electrician to do any/all electrical work for you.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Sabine

<br>

<br>

One of my current lights is actually untreated mdf, and it's showing no signs of swelling 2 yrs down the track. I figure the melamine will just give me an extra barrier

<br>

<br>

I have glass lids on all my tanks, and am pretty careful not to splash water around. It was never planned as a long-term option, but I am surprised at how long it has lasted.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bimborocks</STRONG><BR><BR>for anyone who is thinking of building one from scratch i would suggest using some type of exterior plywood or marine ply as it will withstand the moisture and heat much better, as well as being structurally much stronger.

<br>

just a thought

<br>

James

<P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>And for anyone interested like me........

<br>

<br>

I got a 2ft double batten for $27 at bunnings villawood

<br>

Phillips 18w triphosphor was $6

<br>

30w NEC biolux was $18

<br>

<br>

At cosmo lighting punchbowl

<br>

30w nec biolux was $15

<br>

30w nec triphosphor was $12

<br>

3ft double fluoro batten was $42

<br>

<br>

If anyone has anything to add please feel free.

<br>

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jamesmcsyd</STRONG><BR><BR>Wondering if phillips make the 30W triphosphor tubes, and if so where I can get them in Sydney?

<br>

<br>

Bunnings wharehouse at Alexandria stock alot of tubes, including the NEC triphosphor. The grow one i think is about $16

<br>

<br>

James

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hungsta</STRONG><BR><BR>Yeah that'll be a bargain if phillips have 30w.

<br>

<br>

Also i got mylar at accent hydroponics revesby, 5m x2m for $15

Archived