Beach Sand ?

Juvv

hey, jsut wondering if i can get beach sand from the beach and put it in my 2ft tank for my cichlids + 1 bristlenose?

Im gathering i would have to clean it, but i just wanted to put something up here first to see if i actually can.

I was also wondering if normal beach sand is too fine? Like if i use my gravel cleaner will it be too light and suck up into the bucket, and also will it suck up into the Filter??

Sorry if these are newbie questions lol, Thanks

Juvv

One thing about the SCP Juvv, new members are always welcome and we are always happy to help.

Sand will be fine to use in your tank. You will have to give it a good wash first. It will be too light to use a gravel cleaner but I and many others have no problems cleaning our tanks with sand as the substrate. If you run the siphon about 2cm above the substrate you will suck up some sand but all the wast. Keep some sand spare to add as it gets thin.

Your filter will suck up the sand if the inlet is too close to the substrate. Keep it a good distance away. Also be sure only to have a thin layer. 2cm is heaps, other wise it will compact down and eventually start to turn black, and once you disturb it you will smell it for a week.

A word of advice, when adding sand or disturbing your sand substrate be sure to turn your filter off before you start and leave it off for a few minutes after you finish moving or adding sand. You don’t want to get any grains of sand in with your impeller. One grain of sand will cause lost of damage. It’s always a good idea to use a pre-filter, i.e. a sponge, over the inlet to prevent this from happening.

Hope that helps.

Washed River Sand is available from your local nursery for next to nothing, and its a legal way of obtaining sand for your tanks. However, don't let the term Washed fool you. Washed River Sand is far dirtier than beach sand. :D

Geez, sounds like its more of a problem than its worth!!!! how about ground coral, would that be ok? im jsut finding that the stone stuff im using now is just white chips, and its so easy to see all the waste from the fish on it, also the fish waste is able to fall straight to the bottom therefore makes it harder to keep clean.

If your use like "beach sand" the waste doesnt go to the bottom does it. And whats this washed river sand from a nursery, sounds like its for pots or something? Any pics of river sand stuff? ;)

Thanks for the help Ben! Keep it coming! :lol:

Hi

you buy the river sand in 20kg bags i think , it takes forever to get clean but you will get there, however you will just as easily spot their droppings on sand as you would on pebbles, it just looks nicer andis more like their natural environment depending on what cichlids you actually keep.

cheers

i got 2 female lombardi

1x electric yellow

1x electic blue

some zebra hybrid (i think) still havent figured out wha t it is!

and a bristlenose

is this too many fish for a 2ft tank? if not can i put like ONE more in?

btw they are all juveniles and i wanted them to all grow up and be adults in this tank. Thats only if its enough space

its not really a big enough tank even now when they are juveniles, lombardoi need space and eventually u will end up with them bumping the others off , u need at least a 3ft, 2fters are good for fry and dwarf cichlids or small tangs but for a long term home for the fish you have , could only spell disaster

cheers

well its really up to you what appeals but how about some shellies like the N.ocelatus lots of spunk in a small package, or some julies also small tangs or you could use it to breed some bristlenose seeing as you have one already.

And whats this washed river sand from a nursery, sounds like its for pots or something?

You can buy sand from lots of suppliers, in lots of different grades, under lots of different names.

Just because it comes from a nursery does not mean it is for pots, much like the rocks and pots in my tanks do not necessarily have to be in the garden ;)

I suggest you have a look around at a few nurseries, or some landscaping supplies yards, and check out the types of sand they have.

I've seen beach sand go under a few different names but a common one is 'Sydney sand'.

Washing it is not fun, but it is only a once-off thing. Coral sand is no-where near as fine as beach sand, and is not a good choice environmentally.

If you want something white and fine which will buffer your water, grab some Pool Dust which is a marble-based product. You can get it from Minicrete in Lakemba for about $9 for 25kg.

Hi Juvv -

The tank is too small for the fish you've mentioned.

Sarah means lake tanganijkan cichlids (tangs).

As I said to you via PM your best bet is with Julidochromis or smaller Neolamprologus species.

Just pick one you like:

Here's a few to look up on google etc.

Julidochromis regani

Julidochromis dickfeldi

Neolamprologus multifasciatus

Neolamprologus (Lamprologus) ocellatus

HTH -

I use Siver sand (Bird Cage Sand). I got it just from a local pet shop. It is pre sterilised and you only have to rinse it once just to get out any milkyness. Looks heaps better than your normal beach sand. From meory for 1/2 Kg it was $2.50. I bought 6 bags to fill my 2x18x2. ;)

Regards,

Ben :^:

Hey Yew thanks for the fish names, i checked em out, and im sorry to say that there all boring! lol. Im considering going to saltwater, anyone wanna reccomend any fish for a 2ft tank??

Cheers

Juvv -

There is nothing boring about the cichlids I suggested - they have some of the most interesting behaviours of all cichlids.

As for marines - a 2' (80L) tank is simply too small.

If you don't like the colour of the fish I suggested that I can understand ;).

Although I think Julidochromis regani 'Zambia Gold' is a truely magnificent cichlid :D - and those who don't like it (IMCO, at least) have no taste LOL!.

So... here's my final advice on the subject. If you want to keep colourful rift lake cichlids get a bigger tank.

Alternatively - get a pair of kribensis (Pelvicachromis pulcher) and go down the planted tank path :).

Hi BB -

Juvv appears to be only interested if the fish are dayglow blue, orange or turquoise :(.

If he doesn't like Julies or Neolamps I don't think lionheads are going to do it for him.

Kribs are brightly coloured and more suited to a tank his size ;).

lol! i suppose your right Yew, im really wanting some nice looking fish as i dont really have any intention of breeding, thats all :(

Ive already had kribensis too hehe, they were quite a nice fish.

i was thinking if i went saltwater a pair of jawfish owuld be cool!

Anyway thanks for all you guys help. Ill let you know what i end up doing ;)

If anyone is from the northern beaches and is looking for some cichlids PM me and i might give them away for free if you pickup!

Cheers

You could always go Rainbow

Consider Bosemani, Praecox, Herbertaxelrodi, Incissus or any of the other species available

Also if you want colour look at some of the Killies that are available, I'm going to set up a small tank and get some Orange Australe I saw at Rod Wallaces shop

life span is about 2 yrs but easy to breed and males are most impressive near red more than orange colour but only 3.5cm size

:) L2H

Archived