What are the hardest to find Shell Dwellers in Australia

MattG_Sydney

Hi Matt,

Closing in on 40 years of keeping Tangs and I've always wanted a colony of Lamprologus Callipterus.    Never seen them for sale.  Assuming someone would have managed to source some at some stage.

@adamgatt good call on the signatus also.   Guessing it would be pushing 10 years since I've seen any of those advertised.   

Cheers,
Jason

• Thanks 1

@Skippy  I've heard of a couple of people up in Qld having meleagris recently.    I purchased 10 in 2016 and eventually sold my colony of about 40 in 2019 locally.    I know the guy sold some locally up here so I'm guessing the ones floating around could be from this original colony.       

• Like 1

@Jason and @Skippy Thanks for your insights! I will be very interested to get my hands on any of the varieties mentioned. It’s sad to see them disappear from our shores. Thanks again guys for your insights. 

I had a chat with Brez. He has some L.speciosus available. Now I need to find the time to drive 4 hour round trip. Possibly looking at someone who can do the pick up for me to save the time. (Work and family doesn’t leave too much time during the day to do anything 😓). Let’s see how I go. Thanks @adamgatt for the lead. 

• Like 1

Great stuff! Brendan is a nice bloke and a very successful breeder. Glad to know that he still has them as the last time I went to his place he was telling me that he was planning on moving from tangs to Aussie natives. 

When you do venture down say g'day from me! 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 8:02 AM, Jason said:

@Skippy  I've heard of a couple of people up in Qld having meleagris recently.    I purchased 10 in 2016 and eventually sold my colony of about 40 in 2019 locally.    I know the guy sold some locally up here so I'm guessing the ones floating around could be from this original colony.       

Glad to hear there is still some around

• Like 1

Thanks folks ! Unfortunately as you said Brendan is planning to move away from keeping Tangs. I will see when I can get there and pick up some nice fish. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, brucem said:

Where do you live Matt?  I’m hoping to catch up with Brendan this week.  I can probably hold some specious for you.  I’m in Engadine.

That would be awesome Bruce. I am at Box Hill/Rouse Hill area. Will DM you