Cichlid Imports

Alex

G'day 

After not keeping African cichlids for many many years, I am about to get back to where it all started for me. 

Is anyone in Aus still importing cichlids with any sort of regularity still (Tanganyikans)?

Thanks, 

Alex 

Good Afternoon, 

Thanks, yes I have spoken with a store in Perth (the one actually building my tank) and they are looking at potentially doing German shipments again next year once their is some sort of 'normal'. Apparently a fella in Melb' also gearing up for regular imports next year also? (mate of a mate). 

Tank is 360x100x75 (2,700L) + 900L sump with an Aqua Decor background (back and sides + bottom rocks) - gone all out for this display. Should be pull of water at my house late Feb 2022. 

I want the star of the show to be a very large school of Leptosoma (always been something I have wanted to do) - thinking either 'kitumba' including some 'albino kitumba' or specklebacked Moba's. I like the idea of being able to buy quality for overseas. A loose stcoking list so far is; 

- Leptosoma kitumba or moba's (approx 200 fish)

- C. furicfer 'Kigoma'

- E. malanogenys

- G. permaxilaris

- J. regani 'kipili'

- N. leleupi

I have reserved myself to the fact that getting a school of 200 or so Lepto's is going to take some breeding and adding to colony on my behalf. As purchasing 200, especially imports would be cost prohibitive. 

Thanks, 

Alex

• Like 1

The alternative to the above was a big Malawi Hap tank - Champsochromis, Fossochromis, NImbochromis etc. 

See if i can grow out some fish to their full potential, either is a good option really. 

The only thing that bothers me with the tangs is the wasting disease in the lepto's. 

• 6 months later...

Hey @Alex 

Any luck with the fish you were after ? Would love to know if you managed to get the tangs. I am looking for some, not as much but very similar species to what up listed here. Cheers M