Starting cycling in another container experiment!

dravyn

Hi,

It seems my tank won't be delivered for another 3 or 4 weeks depending on covid. I had a thought last night, I am able to fill a (new) bin up with water and start a filter running on it and start the cycle then when I get my tank set up and filled I can move the filters on to it saving me a few weeks!

Cheers!

Edited by dravyn

Well I started my experiment. I have a 60l clean bin with a fluval 407 and a 200w heater to keep the temp up. I've got the 407 packed with biological media (it is going to be a biological filter for the main tank). I've got some coral rubble and some left over media in a bag that I will also put in the main tank when it's up and running. I'll dose with ammonia to kick off the cycle, hopefully when my tank is up and running I'll have a head start on cycling.

Edited by dravyn
  • Like 1

• dravyn changed the title to Starting cycling in another container experiment!

Do the kh/gh levels matter for establishing the bacteria while cycling? My levels are quite low, I'm not sure if I should correct them at this stage?

Parameters are;

PH: 8

Ammonia: 2ppm

Gh: 53.7ppm

Kh: 143.2ppm

Any advice re kh/gh?

Cheers.

Your plan should be fine and give you a head start on the new tank, most of the bacteria will establish on the bio-media in the filter and coral rubble etc.   Start slowly on the new tank though because the bacteria in the filter and media you moved over into the new tank will initially only be able to consume the same amount of ammonia and nitrite that it was consuming in 60 litre bin.  

If you avoid extremes or large sudden changes your water parameters shouldn't affect the cycle too much.  Now might be a good time to experiment with buffers and find out how much you need to add to your water to achieve the kh/gh values that Link2Hell recommended in the other thread.

if u want to get a jump start on your tank 

bring some filters or to my place and i can run them for u in my tank 

that been running for about 2 yrs now 

let me know if u want to or not 

• Thanks 1