Black Patch on Peacock Cichlid

Aquaman2567

This used to turn up a bit on peacocks when I was breeding them years ago. No-one really ever knew what it was. It never affected the fish except for their appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New life spectrum once a day. It has it in it. I did read that. I was going to switch them to the fluval bug bites and see if that makes a difference. I didn't see it on the label. What makes me think its a disease is Ive had 2 texas cichlids that came without a mark in a separate tank but using same nets, ect. 3 weeks later the mouth covered in black... small frontossas I added to the tank my 6fter 3 of them have it now.. the aquarium actually bread them and went back to check it out. must of been 60 left in the tank and none had it... I can see so many posts about the same problem but the forums never end with an answer.. might just have to take the plunge and start with some meds..

Edited by Aquaman2567

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone with same problem.. I've treated this with Praziquantel and seeing great results. Photo was taken 2 weeks after 1 treatment. Apparently it's a type of fluke. Found very little information on the internet about this... found aquascience.org to be very helpful... rip fourms...

20210814_113709.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aquaman2567 said:

To anyone with same problem.. I've treated this with Praziquantel and seeing great results. Photo was taken 2 weeks after 1 treatment. Apparently it's a type of fluke. Found very little information on the internet about this... found aquascience.org to be very helpful... rip fourms...

Interesting, where did you source the Praziquantel?

On 8/15/2021 at 12:18 PM, Aquaman2567 said:

20210814_113709.jpg

The peacock is looking considerably less colourful than in the earlier posts, is that just a temporary thing when you took the photo or more long term?

On 8/17/2021 at 4:55 PM, Link2Hell said:

@Skippy

Blue Planet Fluke/Tapeworm Tablets 25 (Praziquantel)

In the old days we used Droncit dog wormer

👍 I'm never sure when it comes to medications which ones you need to know a secret handshake to get and which ones are off the shelf.  Then there's always the medications you can get in products not designed for fish like levamisole in Big L wormer. 

Praziquantel from my local pet shop. I was told we cant get the liquid stuff tho? The peacock colors backs up nicely. however i have noticed that he turns that color more often now. not sure why. The black markings on the peacock are just about completely gone now. Also they have all stopped scratching on the substrate. Im treating the tank for 3 weeks like the aquascience site advised. I have noticed the black spots under the mouth and lips have improved but hasnt totally disappeared. 

• Like 1