What to do with tank after fish has died?

alfettaparts

So people may be familiar with some of my posts regarding a blind aging mbuna. His condition deteriorated over the last few months and I eventually put him down. After seven years his time had come.

He was the only fish I had in this tank for years. I believe his illness, infected eyes, fin rot and bloating was due to his age rather than water condition. I maintain my tanks very well and check all the important water conditions.  The fact he lived for seven years is testimony to that.

The question I have now is what to do with the tank?

Its clean, water conditions are spot on and I imagine it has a good biological system. 

Do I add new fish as it is?

Should I drain all the water, clean everything and start again?

Obviously I don't want to add fish to the tank if there is possible disease.

Suggestion welcome.  

Hey Mate,

Sorry to hear about your fish. 

As for the tank, I would do a clean up and get it cycled again given you medicated with antibacterial meds. That is my personal view. Clean start to the tank system.  If you have other tanks you can use some water from those tanks to kick start the process. 

Good luck .. 

Hi Andrew. Yes I know what your saying. He was on his own.

I can't explain how he became sick other than his age, he went blind and maybe damaged himself because sometimes he would panic, swim around bumping into the glass.

Anyway I have drained the tank and will start again at some stage.

I think 7 years was a pretty good effort.