help with display tank

pride

Hi All,

Looking for some ideas with how this tank could look better. Its not plumbed for a sump so stuck with filters intakes and heaters.

Its a 48x 18x 20 tank home to a young pair of Nics and some columbian tetras

I dont have a very creative head and the tank just feels incomplete. Maybe to do with having rock at one end and wood at the other?

Was hoping to not over scape to allow the Nics room to swim.

Happy to hear any suggestions, thanks!

E4DBC93D-369B-49AC-9645-4E48311FBFCD.jpeg

You could use Poret foam in the corner to cover you heater and water pickup.  https://fish2water.com/corner-filter-hmfs.php

I've used these filters in my tanks for 6 years now and never had to clean them and they do help to create a cleaner looking tank.

It also means that for tanks which have canister filter I remove all the foam and add matrix to the filter trays.

Edited by mjoconr
  • Like 1

Thanks all,

Never been one for plants as the fish ive always kept like to tear then up. I may try some anubias or java fern attached to the wood.

The foam idea in the corner to hide the intakes is interesting  and might see if it will work for the right side while plants to disguise the other. Will post some more pics after ive managed to have a go

14 hours ago, mjoconr said:

You could use Poret foam in the corner to cover you heater and water pickup.  https://fish2water.com/corner-filter-hmfs.php

Hey , sorry to the OP as i do not want to hijack the thread 

Does anyone know where you can get this in Australia at all ? or an local alternative ?

As for you tank @pride , I personally don't mind the sparse look in a tank depending, the others are right with some greenery could break things up but I don't often have plants in a tank due to the same reason you mentioned, but there is a rule of thirds in photography that can be adapted for aquascaping    https://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/blog/aquatic-layout-guide-rules-composition-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv/

Have a read, it might help, so my suggestion would be bring out you drift wood from the end to one third into the tank, make the rock look like its spilling away from the wood to the right , (large to small), leave a small one to two on the left side of the wood, just a thought 

Cheers 

@pride  I think look towards rounder river stones rather than the rocks you have

also Nicaraguans lay non adhesive eggs and if you intend to spawn them you will

need a pipe, hollow log or some kind of hard depression for them to spawn in

with the timber stack being the best location I think

for the heater and filter cover up Poret foam would act as a prefilter or like @mjoconr

use the foam as the filter and fill the cannister with bio media

the alternate is to make up a cover like a section of large diameter bamboo

remembering to leave enough area to get flow to the heater and filter intake

BTW Techden sells foam sections in different grades otherwise you can order

Porets from NZ  use the fish2water link from the post above

Thanks @Link2Hell Chris

The rocks are fake aquaone rocks i got cheap on sale. I used to have  river stones but seem wrong for the pool filter sand substrate.

Thanks for the info about the spawning tip for the Nics, I picked up the pair from Andrew at Labyrinth and keeping dighing pits all over the place and seem like ready to lay eggs but maybe cant find the right spot yet like you mentioned.

So threw a cave in the tank and cranked the temp up a little to just over 27C and two days later the female was guarding eggs. 
This morning the male was looking a little sulky in the corner and the female looked a bit stressed and most of the eggs had disappeared. Watching the tank throughout the day the male keeps trying to get in to feed on what’s left and the female fighting him off..poor little girl