Inkbird temperature controllers help.

Beaz

I have been looking at getting an Inkbird thermostat, but I am unsure which model would be best, there seems to be 2 or 3 versions of each model. I only want one to adjust temps without getting wet. I don't NEED datalogging or wifi (but that could be cool). Been looking at ITC-306T, no frills - just to do the one job.

Does anyone use them? Anyone dislike them? Is there a particular model to be avoided?

Is a metal or rubber probe better?

Ive' never used a rubber probe long term in my tank before, but assume depending on the grade of rubber it'd be fine (like suction caps etc..). In saying that has anyone had experience with rust or corrosion with metal probes with this brand?

Cheers!

Edited by Beaz
poor grammar

Hey, I am not an expert on this subject 😀 so really can not comment on this. However if your objective is to keep the tank temperature consistent then you can get a good heater that has auto cut off function to keep the heating under control. 

Apart from temp control what other things do you see you use this for? I am curious 😄

Edited by MattG_Sydney

Mate 😀 Sorry to ramble on, I hope all this makes some sense.

40 minutes ago, MattG_Sydney said:

get a good heater that has auto cut off function to keep the heating under control.

I got a giggle out of this, sorry mate. Yes, of course. 600w heating 600l.

I live in an extreme climate, in winter it's sub zero and summer cranks above 40, so I have huge ambient temp swings. (50deg)

If I don't move the dial on my

40 minutes ago, MattG_Sydney said:

good heater that has auto cut off function

winter temps in the tank sink to 22, then as it warms up to summer the tank temps raise to more like 30. During hot spells, sometimes higher (but thats a separate issue - I have been known to use a fan on the surface to cool the tank.), so at times during the year I find myself needing to turn the heaters up or down.

If the heaters are at 28 on their dial in winter I'll sink to 22-23, but in summer it's gonna be 28 (too hot). It's like I need another heater in winter, but I thought I'd use the inkbird to blast the heaters in winter.

I'd like to dial the 2 300w heaters up full bore to max (Danger?) and rely on the inkbird to simply turn them up and down seasionally with precision!! - they need to work very hard in winter (heating 600l.) The colder it is, the greater the difference between actual tank temps and heater dial temps.  It's really just to easily turn up my heaters in winter without touching them, then as they need to work less in hot weather I need to dial them back down.

Have I fallen down a rabbit hole - yes..  :thumb

Edited by Beaz
bad grammar

Seems like you are the man from the snowy mountains 🤣.. okay I get the picture.. 

Lets wait and see what the experts say.. 

Thanks for the explanation 👍

• Like 1

Might be a silly suggestion, but could you just flick one of the heaters off at the power point in summer, halving your heating? Maybe that'll be enough to not need to adjust the dial on the other one? 

If still too hot with only 1 heater on in summer, could you buy a third heater with the dial set for summer and only turn that on in summer? And maybe the third summer heater might prop it up enough for you in winter too? 

1 hour ago, adamgatt said:

just flick one of the heaters off at the power point in summer

I have to do this every summer, during prolonged hot spells I can unplug both and the tank stays nice and hot - I sometimes rely on cooler night temps to get the tank to drop a degree or two, although I found a pedistal fan over the surface the most effective cooling.

1 hour ago, adamgatt said:

And maybe the third summer heater might prop it up enough for you in winter too?

More watts would help get the temps up in winter for sure, but I'd like to avoid having 3 heaters in there simply for looks, It'd be fine if I had a sump though, maybe I need 2 x 400w.? I haven't turned up the heaters yet this winter (tanks at 22). If I crank them to 30 or so I should get 24 - 25 at least, I hope.

I might try out the thermostat, for $40 it's an experiment I'd like to try. If a heater ever fails in the on mode it'll save my stuff from cooking too, I think  (only ever had this happen once with a cheapy about 15 years ago) Sorta some safety thingy maybe.

I also like the idea of an external LCD interface to fiddle with.

I'll post an update, after I decide if it was a dumb idea or not.

@adamgatt It does sound alot simpler to have heaters set for winter temps, then unplug as needed as the year warms up. The thermostat might give me more precice/accurate control though?

Edited by Beaz
I like to ramble on

35 minutes ago, Beaz said:

but I'd like to avoid having 3 heaters in there simply for looks,

Are you using canisters for filtration, you could go for an inline heather, nothing in the tank and you don't need to get your hands wet adjusting the temperature.

• Like 1

@Skippy Yes I am using a canister and I do like the idea of inline heating, my Mrs brought it up the other day actually. We are unsure of the efficency of them in cold climates. I only have heard of Hydor? Brand. something like that. I suspect I'd need a really big one (could you only use one?). I'll need to do research, but yes this would be good. I've looked up DIY inline heating in the past. Far out, I could spend alot more than $40.

@MattG_Sydney you gave me an idea - I'll check out what people from places that have proper cold winters overseas do. I wonder if they use Eheim heaters. (or kettle elements ha.)

It's a community tank. one Pollini and Harlequin Rasboras mostly.

3 hours ago, Beaz said:

Yes I am using a canister and I do like the idea of inline heating, my Mrs brought it up the other day actually. We are unsure of the efficency of them in cold climates. I only have heard of Hydor? Brand. something like that. I suspect I'd need a really big one (could you only use one?). I'll need to do research, but yes this would be good. I've looked up DIY inline heating in the past. Far out, I could spend alot more than $40.

I use a 200w Hydor inline heater on my 210 litre tank in Canberra.  It keeps the tank at a stable 24 degrees through winter, I usually turn it off completely through summer. 

The biggest Hydor I have seen on sale is a 300w, it wouldn't be enough for 600 litres.  I don't think more than one inline heater per canister would work but it's an option to add an extra heater without having another in the tank.

• Like 1

@@Beaz Yes mate, good idea to learn about how the Europeans do it. Eheim is a German brand and built for those climates. Also they claim to be accurate with temp control as well. Good luck, let us know how you go.

PS I use Eheim heaters and l like them. Even bought a new one for my display tank yesterday.

• Like 1

Well, I had a bit of a look and I am going to have to upgrade my heaters.

On 18/07/2020 at 10:41 AM, MattG_Sydney said:

get a good heater that has auto cut off function

My (what I thought were good) probably made in china heaters are rated at 1w per l. aprox.

On 19/07/2020 at 9:22 AM, MattG_Sydney said:

Eheim heaters are legendary

The 300w heater these guys make says it's capable of 600 - 1000l. now that's a good heater.

On 18/07/2020 at 11:28 AM, Beaz said:

I got a giggle out of this, sorry mate. Yes, of course. 600w heating 600l.

Laughed out loud this time! @MattG_Sydney Thanks mate.

34 minutes ago, Beaz said:

Well, I had a bit of a look and I am going to have to upgrade my heaters.

My (what I thought were good) probably made in china heaters are rated at 1w per l. aprox.

The 300w heater these guys make says it's capable of 600 - 1000l. now that's a good heater.

Laughed out loud this time! @MattG_Sydney Thanks mate.

300W of Eheim heating power should do the trick.  I've got an 250W Eheim Thermocontrol in my 5 x 2 x 2 (540 litres + sump), it's comfortably maintaining the water at 24 degrees in Canberra (although we have had a very mild winter to date).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GDay 

I use inkbirds as temp controllers.  I have my tanks (8x2.5x2.5) (4x2x2) outside which isn't the best option.  The back and sides of the tanks are insulated.  i use schego titaniums at 600w because they wont shatter.  the inkbirds have never missed a beat.  i think they are a great option.  

i currently live in Cobar, so its hot in summer and cold (-2 overnight) in winter.  

I hope this helps.  

The Miner

• Thanks 2