Blind fish

alfettaparts

Hello. I have a male mabuna I have kept for at least six years. The last six months it has become obvious he's gone blind. Some whitening around the outside of his eyes however I don't think its because of any illness. I try and maintain my tanks and think that him becoming blind is just a result of age or bad luck.  Hes always been healthy, has a three foot tank to himself and continues to look healthy and is always hungry. I have taught him food is available when i gently tap the glass and he does his best to swim to the tapping noise and inhale what he can. I guess I am wondering if anyone else has looked after a blind fish and has any advice.

Thanks

Photo of him as a young boy lol

IMG_0118.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

He doesn't look too bad for his age. I have a blind Keyhole Cichlid. The only food she can easily find to eat is frozen food mix. She can smell it and the pieces sit on the bottom until she finds it. I make my own mix by blending fish, prawns & veggies. All of my fish prefer my home made mix but if you don't want to make your own you can buy it in similar form in pet shops labeled as Cichlid Food, Community Food etc.

Edited by oakes

• 4 months later...

So now my other fish 'Digger' has developed a small white spot on his left eye. He's also pretty old (seven or eight years) but is in a tank on his own. Ph, Hardness, Ammonia, and Nitrate levels all good. What am I missing to have two old resilient fish develop the same eye condition????? Separate tanks shared cleaning equipment.

From what I can tell he can still see. He's always been grumpy but this year he has had enough. Only comes out to dig another nest after I move his rock or the occasional feed. Never comes out when the tv is on. Is happy to come out and spend time with me in the dead of night when everything is quiet. No I'm not on pot.  

digger 01.JPG

Digger 02.JPG