Lava Rock, Texas Holey Rocks and other types of rocks

MattG_Sydney

Hey Folks, The new kid on the block is at it again. Another question you may ask ... 🤯.. Fist of all, apologies for all the questions. I will try to contribute later when I am bit more qualified to help others. 

I have a few Red Lava rocks I have had for years in one of my tanks. Its nothing fancy, but I have heard they can be good for the aquariums help reduce No3 etc. I have also heard Texas Holey are good. 

Here comes the questions.

1. Are Lava rocks good as some claim them to be ? Also what are the negatives (if any) ?

2. Texas Holey rocks - What are the benefits of having them in an aquarium ? Any drawbacks ? 

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I keep Tanganyika cichlids, so the questions are relating to Tanganyika tanks.

Cheers M

13 hours ago, MattG_Sydney said:

Thanks mate.. that sounds good as maintaining both parameters with chemicals is a hard task. Cheers.

I think maintaining stable water parameters is more important than trying to exactly matching the lake's parameters and having the parameters swing around wildly.  

• Thanks 1

Yes, I think that is something we at times overlook... mixing stuff to make the right parameters every time is impossible.. so keeping it stable with less intervention is the key.. I think one of the main reasons my issues in the past due to trying to do too much and not keeping things simple.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PlecoSam said:

I would not say impossible, I mean people run marine tanks with very temperamental SPS corals and synthetic salt is used to mix.  

Very true,  for me it was very turbulent in the past.... Tropheus doesn't help the cause,  but I like a challenge so end up with them.. Now I have some Petros 🙃