Jaguar laid eggs no male

fullychichlid

Hi would like some advice. I have a female jaguar that lives alone and she has laid eggs.

Do I just vacum them up when I do a water change. I have only had her about 10 days she seems fine water conditions are good but she has not eaten yet. Is that due to her building her nest and carrying eggs.

Please advise

The white poo is probably something all together different. Maybe someone else could help you that issue. If the fish is pooing then it must be eating.

I'm with Josh. Siphon the eggs out on the next water change. Until then, ignore them. Healthy female americans will lay eggs regardless whether a male is present. You'll find she will do it again in six weeks or so. I hazard to guess that females in the wild either always have a mate, or are only able to produce eggs when food is adequate. Whereas in a tank, mates are optional, and we provide food with an abundance of high protein food, so they're always capable of producing eggs.

Don't worry about her not eating, either. I once had an adult female jag go seven weeks without eating after I moved her. Eventually, she returned to eating without any lasting effects.

What have you been feeding her? You could put some feeder fish in the tank and she will probably eat them because she's in breeding and protecting mode and at least that way she'll get her nutrients, and also that way you'll know when shes started to eat again when the feeders start disappearing, either that or get her a partner.

Thanks so much everyone. I cleaned the eggs out of the tank as they started to get like a white fluffy stuff coming of them. Even with the Molly in tank she left it alone with the eggs. However the other day when I got home there was only half a Molly left. I will see how she goes by the end if this week. She still hasn't eaten.

I wouldn't feed her feeder fish. By doing that, you'll teach her to refuse pellets and hold out for feeders. They're smarter, possibly more manipulative, than we give them credit for.

Unfertilized eggs will always go white. It's fungus. I usually remove them around that time, too.

Archived