Fossorochromis Rostratus starting to colour

firthy13

got a few quick snaps of my 18cm+ male fossorochromis rostratus.

this is no where near full colouration obviously. im in the process of trying to find a few more adults, particually females.

IMG_5523.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

i love the royal blue tail and the deep red dorsal fin. he is going to be spectacular when i finally find him a mate to display to.

hope you like him.

Wow, ill be stoked if mine looks half as nice as yours. I love the blue caudal fin and the copper coloured head.

Yeh that would be great rob. Thanks. I should be coming down sometime after xmas.

He is currently being kept with 9 mdoka whitelips, 5 vc10's 3 pheno tanz and a few yellow. But the yellows and phenos tanz will be moved on shortly I think.

I got him a few days before christmas last year at 3-4 cm, is is now 18cm. I thought 14cm in 11 months is a pretty good growth rate.

That's amazing!

Yeah I agree. Here are some shots of a male I kept a couple of years ago that was only a few cm bigger then the one you have now.

Rostratus_B.JPG

Rostratus_A.JPG

These photos almost make me want to sell my tangs and Do a huge Malawi display. Almost...

Thanks guys, yeah their growth rate is rapid. Shannon, thanks it will be worth paying a visit to Neotropical to check out the Rostratus there.

I have found that the colour varies a lot between individuals. I have seen some that are mainly torquoise and black, others with the coppery colour on the head like my old one and still others with yellow and red on their side.

Once the male gets in the mood, they display to the females pretty much all the time, that is why it is good to have at least 2 females.

I will fatten up a couple of females for you Michael over the Christmas break. Here are some more shots I have taken of them over the years.

047.JPG

Rostratus3.JPG

RostratusBuccos.JPG

they are amazing fish! easily my favourite african cichlid! an 8x2x2 with 20+ adults would be an amazing sight! i would love to see one actually build the bower like they would in the wild. i think you would need atleast a 3ft wide tank.

Lol...All good!! Was thinking, if only I had the dosh for a bigger aquarium! They would go nice with the lithos and mphanga (though might eatem)...lol

• 3 weeks later...

watched the weirdest behaviour in this guy this afternoon during a water change.

i saw him colour up and start displaying to a female P.Phenochilus Mdoka. they continued to dance together for about 40 minutes. she didnt have her tube down and she didnt look like she is full of eggs either but she would spin around and appear to be picking up mouthfuls of sand just like she normally would her eggs.

• 5 weeks later...

Magnificent fish... I can say for a certainty that if any of us had a spare 10 footer laying around we would have them...

Wow great stuff... They sell for a bit? im guessing they would have to

Since they have such big spawns, they are the sort of fish where if there is a pair regularly spawning somewhere they will be quite common , e.g. They can spawn 120 fry every month or so once they get going. The males are also very eager to spawn all the time, one of the attractions of the fish, I have a young trio and the male is constantly dancing 24-7.

• 3 weeks later...

bit of an update on these guys.

the male from the original post got pretty sick and unfortunately had to be euthanized.

i did manage to track down another small male. he has put on about 4cm in the last 3 months with a current total length or around 11cm.

here are a few pics of him starting to display to his female.

IMG_5714_zps1a586024.jpg

IMG_5715_zps4a9aab90.jpg

Archived