worms in tank

Todd

i have noticed a worm getting around the substrate of my tank. it is about half a mill in diameter and around 15 mills long. its red. i can put photos up later. is this good or bad? it looks similar to a blood worm to me...

Mate, isolate that tank, dont use any nets used in that tank in any of your other tanks and try get hold of some Protazin.

It sounds like Cammallanus worms and they will kill your fish from the inside out. They are little borers, so you will see them hanging out of the fishes anus.

I had an outbreak in one of my tanks a couple of years ago that killed about 200 guppies, B'nose and bolivian rams. I will try and post the video of the infestation if i can find it

cheers

Trent

if it is camallanus worms, i have seen an article on pleco planet that explains what to do. the basic gist of it is as follows:

Try treating with avitrol plus which is an over the counter bird wormer that you should be able to find at most pet stores. Dosages are tablet form is 1 tablet per 10 litres of aquarium water and for the liquid form it is 1ml per 5 litres.

to treat the fish i would remove the substrate if possible or move the fish to a hospital tank with no substrate. then add the required dosage. you should do this on a day when you will be home and able to keep watch of the fish. the medication will paralyse the worms and the fish will poo them out. this is the reason you dont want any substrate, so you can easily see the worms and syphon them out, otherwise they will be eaten and the process will continue.

keep checking the tank from 3-24 hours after you add medication and syphon the worms as necessary. on the 3rd day perform a 30% water change and feed the fish as normal. repeat the treatment after 2 weeks to catch all remaining eggs. it is also possible to treat a 3rd time after another 2 weeks, the process is the same as the first treatment.

also, if you move the fish to a hospital tank, dont forget to throroughly clean the main tank and all equipment that you have exposed to the infected water.

you can do a google search for camallanus worms and you will see images of the reddish worms showing out of the anus of infected fish.

good luck!

mat

hmm, now I'm worried. So is ther any way to just kill them and be done with it? Cause its a 6ft tank and they could be anywhere... There would be little chance of fixing the problem entirely. From what I have read it isn't common for these worms to live in the substrate? How does this worm reproduce? I may have to begin quarantining new fish...

hmm, well none of my fish have the worms hanging out of them? or is it just too early for this to happen?

Use avitrol plus asap. Once you see them hanging out its almost too late. It is harmless and wont hurt the fish or your bio media. I worm all new purchases with it as a precaution. Its cheap too. Try to get the tablets as they work better imo. If you don't worm them and it is cammalanus expect them all to die.

That is a segmented worm. It is not a callumanus worm, which is a nematode (round worm). I would do a gravel vac to see if it could be removed and to check for others. Not sure which medications would kill that type of worm.

It might even be some sort of insect larvae? But if you do manage a clearer pic, post it. Mind you that pic isn't bad and clear up a few questions.

Archived