type of lights causing algae

klw

hi guys,i have a 4ft twin light on my tank,it is getting way too much algae in a short time,i have shut the blinds as it is a bright sunny room and probably the cause of it(green algae) burt im wondering wether my tubes would be causing it,i have 1 x 40watt coral blue light and 1 x std aquaglo tube running together,lights are on for about 10hrs a day.would the coral blue light cause excessive algae as ive never used these before?

thankyou

anybody ?????

its on the glass mostly but cause im wiping it off every day its a little soupy.i have had 2 different opinions on the marine blue lights though,one source says its for growing coral so does produce excess algae and another source says it wont cause excess,i guess i'll have to do process of elimination

what sort of tank are we talking about? fresh water and cichlids presumably given we're on ACE but are there plants, substrate, big fish, little fish, lotsa fish, low or high Ph, presumably display with those lights?

How you go about dealing with algae is highly dependent on those sorts of things but generally it comes down to

- with plants you are trying to get the plants to out-compete the algae,

- without plants you are making the environment unfriendly for any flora (plants and algae)

i have tried the coral blue tube,a t8 biolux and a t8 aquaglo and had algae every day,just bought a power glo tube and thats fixed it,the tank is clearing really fast,phewwww.i remember using power glo's before and never had algae probs.so for anyone in the same boat,get power glo's.

Archived