feeding before daybreak

boydie

hey all,as i start work early 6 in the morning and leave home at 5 30 its still dark and i dont feed my fish this time of year,are my fish missing out on there first feed of the day(they dont get fed till 4 in the afternoon).

can i feed fish before daybreak and plus i dont want to turn lights on in my fish room so i dont startle the fish.

its been bugging me for some time now so i thought id ask the question.

what are your thoughts and suggestion :confused:

cheers boydie :thumbup:

My fish are in the garage, there is a small gap above the pull up door. I have noticed early in the morning there is enough light let in that the fish are always active in the morning even though its still dark in the garage so mine get fed twice a day.

You could still feed them even if it is dark as they will eat throughout the day off the bottom.

Stick a light on an auto timer and have them wake up half an hour before you do. That way they will be wide awake and waiting by the time your up. You can have the light switch off once the sun is up.

but wont a sudden light change freak the fish out!!!

hmm, interesting subject. if you wanted (and im going to set this up eventually when i have the time) you could set up some LED strips. have half or so timed to turn on, then a little later turn the other half on and then turn turn the main lights on and feed? Also LED strips are good for nocturnal fish like cats.

i reckon they should be fine with 1 feed a day but if your trying to simulate nature then as many small feeds as you can is better.

I've got 3 tanks in my kitchen I wake up at 5.30am weekdays I go to the kitchen turn the light on and I come back around 15 minutes later by then they are wide awake I feed them and never had a problem

i also leave home for work when it's still dark, maybe you can do what i do and just turn the light on in the room next to your fish room, this gives me enough light to see without freaking the fish out with sudden bright lighting.

or

use a torch shone down to the floor, just so you can see your way around and get the fish food.

hi

i also leave early for work my fish are in my garage away from home i walk in turn garage light on wait 15 min or so they start to swim around feed them and then leave ..come back around 5-6pm and feed them again i leave only garage light on the whole day energy saver globe. they get fed twice a day all happy and breeding :)

Stick a light on an auto timer and have them wake up half an hour before you do. That way they will be wide awake and waiting by the time your up. You can have the light switch off once the sun is up.

but wont a sudden light change freak the fish out!!!

No, you just have one light on a timer. Doesn't have to be over a tank to wake the fish up.

If you want them fed in the morning get an autofeeder and set the time + quantity you want fed. Problem solved. Note: not all fish eat in the morning i.e. frontosa's natually feed at night.

Cheers,

John

Auto feeders have their place but I always hand feed fish because feeding is the best time to observe fish. Unusual behaviour is the best way to detect problems early.

Archived