Canister vs Sump

Myles Hye

Firstly, Hi there I'm new to the forums but was bitten by the fish bug Years ago. I have had many tanks and vast amounts of Africans for Years but had to give them up while trying to own and renovate my first home and build my second.

Now I'm back ... I have a 4x2x2 coming in the next week and also have had a 2 foot given to me I have had canister filters in the past but with this 2 foot to play with now I'm tossing the idea for a sump, just need the right push to get me there.

Any words of advise or no no's would be great as I'm not sure what fish I'm getting makes it a little harder that choice hasn't been made yet but Africans it will be.

The sump I would have to build from the blank tank but I'm pretty handy that way just never drilled glass for a weir before. Any way ... Sump or canister

drilling isnt hard if you take your time and keep the drill steady and the bit wet. dont overtighten the bulkheads. i personally would go a sump over a canister, you get superior filtration, increase the total water volume and can get heaters etc out of the tank... or have both so if one fails you have back up.

4x2x2 is a good sized tank , go tanganyikan!

Go Popelinis

Depends where your putting your tank

Sumps are louder so not a good choice for the bed or lounge room but theheater can go in it so u dont have to see it

Sumps also suffer from evaporation if not sealed properly and the heaters in them

Cannisters while good dont filter as well as a sump and still need the heater in the tank

Really all comes down to personal preference

Yes tank is going in the living area, i do recall a few years ago somebody was able to do something to the standpipe in the weir to eliminate all sound from water. I imagine that's were the noise comes from, the water rushing down the pipe.

google durso standpipe, easy to make and help a lot with noise. i have a tank in the lounge and it wasn't drilled so i made "no holes overflows" which in combination with a 10,000LPH pump is quite noisy BUT i don't really hear it anymore its a soothing sound like rain on a tin roof. if i did it again i'd drill the tank and use durso's

again its a personal preference.....but sumps are better.

Archived