Cichlid Newby some advice appreciated.

johnnystorm

Hi Guys,

i recently bought a 285ltr tank around a week and a half ago, i cycled the tank for one week then added:

Some angels at first (v.small)

also some neon tetras (about 15 (v.small)

these where fine,

i now have one electric yellow

one electric blue

also have 2 small gouramis,

and a very small albino sucker.

yesterday i went to a local aquarium shop and found this female:

IPB Image

IPB Image

can anyone tell me what she is i was advised it is female and a pearlsclae cichlid, it was an impulse but as i felt a bit sorry for he a few scales where missing and had been bought to the store as original, owners fish kept attacking i think,

i think she is in good shape and have built a wall od dead coral rock for her to hide behind, but she seems happy swimming all over the tank sorry for image quality i will try to get size and better photos for you, she is quite large.

also all fish seem to be getting along fine i have heard angels can be very agressive when they are large enough though,

also what would be best to feed her all fish are fine on pellets and flakes, bloodworm? ive heard she would eat frozen baby mice aswell from store owner (not sure the mrs would be to keen on watching baby mice thrown in a tank)

thanks guys these forums seem a wealth of knowlege

Mmmmm....where do I start?

Its a Geophagus braziliensis..... :lol1:

Geo braziliensis

Takes about 5 weeks to cycle a tank.....unless you've added some bacteria???

Someone is taking the wee wEE....I doubt she will eat frozen mice....pellets will be fine

Do some research before you buy anymore fish.....desirably!! fish should prefer similar water conditions and food.....if you want them to live a while that is!

What you have bought is all over the shop....look at this site....it explains what should be stocked with what ;)

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Good Luck! :thumb

Thanks mate,

excellent link aswell good information, i did add bacteria and all chemicals needed etc, im loving the hobby i have always wanted to get into it, so just started!

i have tried to research as much as possible i think ill stick with the fish i have now and focus on building up a nice interior of rock etc for them all to habitat,

is it also worthwhile to head to one of the membership meets in sydney? i hear there are good fish auctions and a great way to get information from people are they usually busy?

also i have a preganant guppy (i mainly bought them for tester fish) i dont like the chances of the fry surviving though, but would they hide in the coral rocks/'grass?

:raisehand: Welcome Johnnystorm

an apt name considering the post

it all comes back to basics

I note you have used a bacteria culturing media = good

not waiting for the nitrifying bacfteria to cycle and the normal

ammonia spike to happen during this cycle = bad

lets tsart with water parameters of the tank can you advise

what the pH or hardness or nitrate, nitrite, ammonia levels are

as Rod has already mentioned for fish water aint water Johnny

as far as compatible fish is concerned did you happen to mention

your stocking list with the lfs that sold you the Brasiliensis

if you did I would reccommend you use another shop

can you advise the size of the fish you have eg angels = 5cent body size

elextric blue = 5cm neon = snack size

neons, gourami and angels require neutralish pH so best 6.8 to 7.2

guppy, e.yellow e.blue and brasiliensis require alkaline pH so

best at 7.5 - 8.0

guppy fry = only the smart and strong will survive unless you get a plastic

breeding trap and put the gravid female in it

strange combinations have been know to work before but this is a killing

field waiting to happen ...... my opinion <_<

if you want to keep all these species get another couple of tanks

when you first start and have no one to advise knoiwledge = $$$$

Chris

thanks for all the advice guys,

this is exactly why i thought joining these forums would be a good idea, as ive only been taking in information from the stores, i have been advising the stores of exactly what fish i have and the rough size,

i was advised it was a female so theres exhibit A of misinformation, form what i have heard, the geo can be very agressive but its not it is very mopey,

he sticks to his area of the tank i have also not witnessed him feeding yet, my ph is currently 7.6 as i was previously advised this was a reasonable level for the fish occupying the tank,

all other chemical figures ill get for you guys this afternoon,

as to the geo feeding i have purchased large hikari cichlid gold pellets, to trty to feed him but nothing, should i try blood worm (i have heard this isnt great and has the same nutrients as shredded paper)

The main fish i am worried about are the tetras, and i was worried for the angels but they are fine, i have 3 two of these are slightly larger than a 50 cent coin, but time will tell if i have created a battle royale, (i really hope i havent)

I ask alot of questions so thats probably a good thing but if you dont ask you never know so thanks again, and ill get all the nitrate nitrite levels for you so i can find out how all this works etc.

Sorry mate but with that fish in your tank the Neons days are numbered but its a great looking male.

I wouldn't feed the fish for a few days and when you do start feeding I would do it very sparringly for the next few weeks. I would recomend you do a 25% water change asap. and the same every second day for the next two weeks. With all thosse fish and an Ammonia spike on its way you could end up with a tank full of dead fish quite quickly. It can come on quick and kill all your fish with in a couple of hours.

I would also gradually over the next couple of days lower your PH to around the 7 mark as this will help with ammonia levels.

Everyopne started out from scratch and made mistakes so dont get disheartened about people telling you to do this or that its all apart of the learning curve. We all made mistakes and still do.

Cheers Teki

Thanks teki, yeah i have to start somewhere, ill get onto a water change tonight, other issue is i got dead coral rock for the fish to hide in? this is going to push my ph up is that right? its 7.6 with the rock

Hi mate, it depends how much you have in the tank to much and it will raise your PH and KH but it shouldnt go past 7.8 or it might just buffer your water I wouldn't worry to much about the PH at the moment Ammonia and Nitrate are the big concern over the next two weeks as your bioload builds up. A high ph does make ammonia more of an issue. I would just keep doing 20% water changes every second of third day for the next two weeks.

And dont feed the fish to much what type of filter are you using?

:raisehand: Welcome Johnnystorm

an apt name considering the post

LOL

Hi Johhnystorm

Americans tend to sulk when they are moved.

That Braziliensis is in breeding colours.

Thats why it has a distinct stripe through its eye.

It was probably ready to mate and a bit fiesty.

Right now its missing home and its tank mates.

It will come good in a about a week.

Then it will start to show the other inhabitants whos boss.

Hi guys, i have been on the water changes, you where all correct, the 14 neon tetras i has are all gone, Im guessing its the big geo, and i had 2 guppys the male i found half eaten but still alive (cant help but feel bad for being an idiot and placing jaws in the tank, ive given the other pregnant guppy to a mate, before it becomes breakfast.

now all the reamining fish should be ok im hoping ill update you with my list shortly

also after water changes what chemicals do you recomend adding i obviously have chlorine remover, any good brands etc for nitrite nitrate, amonia etc.

The ammonia and nitrite need to be taken care of, by the biological fitration. Nitrate is reduced by partial water changes.

No chemicals is best. Messing with the water causes problems. It stresses the fish out. Just dechlorinate the water and regular water changes....

If your filter is not mature and there are still ammonia and/or nitrite partial water changes keep this down.... daily if required.

hi guys, i have been doing water changes every 2 days and the fish are getting along fine now, ive only had one issue where a electric yellow died and i have no idea why it was all of a sudden aswell, within 10 minutes stone dead upside down,

all other fish are great though and i have seen no damaage on any of them from agressive fish or any fish acting agressive,

my list is:

1 v.large geo brazilianis (will upload photo had scales missing when bought now looks top quality)

2 small electric yellows

2 small burundi frontosa (love these want to get a seprate tank to have a colony)

3 red emperors

2 gouramis

2 angel fish

and funnily enough 1 guppy (bought as a tester fish living happily still)

and a blue fish which im not sure of breed so will get a photo for you to let me know aswell

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmmm....where do I start?

Its a Geophagus braziliensis..... :lol1:

Geo braziliensis

Takes about 5 weeks to cycle a tank.....unless you've added some bacteria???

Someone is taking the wee wEE....I doubt she will eat frozen mice....pellets will be fine

Do some research before you buy anymore fish.....desirably!! fish should prefer similar water conditions and food.....if you want them to live a while that is!

What you have bought is all over the shop....look at this site....it explains what should be stocked with what ;)

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

Good Luck! :thumb

he is lookin good now like the other person said its americans,my texas ,acaras,brazils all went a bit odd ball with every tank transfer, go into hidding mode and eat minimal food for a few week ,my male texas ive for 4 years he"s never really come good since he killed his last partner,ive tried other females but to scared to leave them with him over night.dont want to loose another to hard to find large females"i think due to that reason"the males get very aggresive .enjoy ,the learning curve is shortened by every good peice of advice u get and ur in the right place to get it.

Archived