I have Albino Orange spot BN

fishbits

Hey,

My OSBN spawned about 4 weeks ago.I was checking out the tank and saw 2 albinos and 2 marbles, along with many other normal looking OS all around the 1cm mark. I only have OSBN in that tank.

I do have a question.Is an albino OSBN the same as a common albino BN.

Thanks

Do you have abn/ marble fry in other tanks? If so its more likely they were transferred from another tank by accident.

I do have some albino BN no marbles, the marbles where there is colour have orange spots.. The orange spots are in my planted shrimp tank. I have never placed a net in that tank.This is the first time these guys have spawned.

Could be from a hose, filter, piece of wood, water change bucket. I've done it myself. Its highly unlikely the abn are orange spot. I don't know about the marbles though. When they get bigger take some pic's.

albino and marble are only gene mutations

grow them and see how they come out

no orange spot are not the same as normal BN

is the tank connect to a common sump ?

Chris

Hey Chris.

All my tanks are stand alone. This tank is a planted tank and has been like this for years. I have watched these guys from when they were first hatch. I have about 20 young in the tank and only four out of the 20 have mutations.I brought 6 OSBN from the last major aution, now if OSBN don't throw albinos maybe I got 6 commons by mistake. I know of one other person who's OS have produced albinos but lost the fry.

Would pics help?

Cheers sean

must be another solution because os's don't throw albinos or marbels

there's no fundamental reason why not... we're just talkng about mutations so it's a matter of probabilities not one of do's/dont's and it's almost inevitable they will appear at some time ( in fact I expect they have occured numerous times, mutations are relatively common, actually getting them to survive, stabilize and isolating just that part of the mutation is much much harder and much less likely)

but.....The odds of having both mutations appear at once in a single spawn and to subsequently survive is so awfully small I'd be thinking it might as well be zero.

If you're absolutely sure the fry are orange spots and not ring-ins from another tank then my expectation is you'll find you're just seeing natural and temporary variations in pigmentation that disappear as the fry grow

OS probably would have been a little bit more than $10 if they were from a LFS, depending on who they were sourced from. commons depending on which state and supplyer to LFS can be anything up to $10 for 3.5 - 4 cm

have seen them for higher price at times..

Fishbits

from the pic the adult looks like a common BN :dntknw:

but its Homer moment as they have thrown albino

and really nice looking calico

even so you bought what you thought were OS

come to the meeting saturday and see Lionel (zigzag)

they should be able to go over the last auction data

(not on the night OK) and see what you bought and

who sold the lot and the lot description

where it goes from there will depend on the result

of the search

Chris

Fishbits

from the pic the adult looks like a common BN :dntknw:

but its Homer moment as they have thrown albino

and really nice looking calico

even so you bought what you thought were OS

come to the meeting saturday and see Lionel (zigzag)

they should be able to go over the last auction data

(not on the night OK) and see what you bought and

who sold the lot and the lot description

where it goes from there will depend on the result

of the search

Chris

No need Chris,

Thanks for the offer .

Cheers Sean

hi Fishbits!

how are the mutation fry going? have to agree that the adults are indeed common BN, however, they have thrown some really interesting colours. Personally i think it would be worth breeding them just to see what you get, you might get something unusual. The albino is the whitest looking albino i have seen - what colour are the eyes? and what about the calicos? any update pics of the babies?

Archived