Scratching fish

Shival

Hey guys, ive recently purchased 4 cichlids and placed them in my aquarium which previously had no fish in it, ive noticed on seperate occasions the fish scratch themselves on the rocks and sand, all the fish do this at different times..

I haven't noticed any white spots on the fish and being the amateur fish keeper that i am, i wouldn't have a clue on what to do.. so could anyone please assist me here?

Thanks

Much Appreciate! :yes:

Unless they are doing it a real lot I wouldn't be too worried as most will do that now and then. Keep an eye on them though if they seem to be doing it alot or more frequently there could be something wrong. Some things that might cause it could be fine particles in the water irritating them, a parasite of some sort if they do it a real lot maybe ammonia if its a new tank? There are probably a lot more things that the experts can mention though.

Thanks for your reply Priscacara,

the ammonia and nitrites are at 0, if its the fine particles what could i do to prevent this? it could be the strength of my filter swirling the sand around im not sure...

mate i used to freak out about this behavior too but after years of fish keeping it is just normal behavior.... or it could be a parrasite u can use a product called parraside which is a disprin like tablet that disoles in the water the same as a disprin... it treats 40l per tab and is about $15 per pack with 10 tabs per pack....

hope this helps

it could be the strength of my filter swirling the sand around im not sure...

1st: - Try turning down the filter to see if it is the sand particles causing the problem.

2nd: - Add Rock Salt or pool salt to the water as pathogens do not like saline water and it will not hurt your cichlids.

3rd: - If neither seems to help then treat tank but try steps 1 & 2 first.

Cheers John

Yeah its definitely not my filter, ive added some rock salt ill just have to wait a few days and see if it has any effect.. otherwise ill get the stuff mick was suggesting..

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i just had some of this happen to me recently, in the last 1-2 weeks as i've been adding and moving fish around in the setup. added salt in a water change and within 1-2 days dont see it happen anymore. Hows the fish doing on your side?

Archived