A nice surprise in my tanks today...

BillyT

Hi Guys,

It's my first time posting a new topic on the forums but I had to share this with someone...

I woke up this morning to find that my Julidochromis regani have spawned!!! :lol4:

It is their first spawn (I bought them as juveniles) and was wondering how long it would take for them to breed. The pair have been camped outside of a cave for the past few weeks but I only noticed the eggs today. I am now busy playing "fishy musical chairs" as I need to remove the remaining 2 other Juli's and 4 Brichardi's from the tank to give the parents some peace! As all of my tanks are occupied atm it is involving some juggling!

To add to the excitement, a new batch of baby convicts had their first excursion out of their cave with their parents today! The kids love watching them but I don't know how to explain that if not eaten by their tank-mates I will have to find alternative "homes" for them.

Not a bad way to spend a Sunday!

:thumb good stuff :thumb

first spawns are always super exciting - congrats mate

Thanks guys,

It took some doing but I managed to shuffle my other fish around - everyone seems happy atm.

A whole bunch of 1-2'' convicts were moved from their 2' tank to a 3' tank to make way for the Brichardi's.

My 4 Brichardi's are a lot happier in their own tank. It's only a 2' but it will have to do for the time being, they are only small. They seem to like the rocks I put in!

My 6 Geophagus araguaia (formerly in the 3' tank, now occupied by the small convicts) were moved into our 4' community tank in the house. My wife's idea - she likes the look of them!! My main concern is that this tank is the one with the new batch of baby convicts...mum and dad are doing a good job of keeping ALL of the other occupants herded into the far end of the tank! If they stay there the parents leave them alone, so I will see how things go. Fingers crossed...

The frustrating part is that I have another 3' tank sitting idle that needs to be set up but I don't have the space in the garage (I think it's clean out time...)

Convicts are getting hard to move, I still have 9 left from my last spawning and I can't give them away, they'll be spawning soon.

I never expected to be able to sell the convicts to be honest...it was a strategic play!

The old "bait and switch" ;)

Obtain a pair of convicts...get the family attached to them...watch them spawn...watch the babies grow...wife goes "Awww how cute"...get more tanks...slip in the occasional extra fish here and there and before you know it BAM I have the beginnings of a fish collection without having to deal with the "WHAT?! Another tank/pump/filter???" hahaha

At least that was the plan - and it seems to be working well so far!!

I never expected to be able to sell the convicts to be honest...it was a strategic play!

The old "bait and switch" ;)

Obtain a pair of convicts...get the family attached to them...watch them spawn...watch the babies grow...wife goes "Awww how cute"...get more tanks...slip in the occasional extra fish here and there and before you know it BAM I have the beginnings of a fish collection without having to deal with the "WHAT?! Another tank/pump/filter???" hahaha

At least that was the plan - and it seems to be working well so far!!

Untill you leave the computer on with this thread open and your wife reads it ;)

I think Convicts are very under rated fish. I love them.

If I was in Adelaide I would be there tomorrow to pick up your convicts Batty!

I am going to have a colony of 20-30 of them in my Lake Nicaragua 8x2x2 tank that I pick up on the weekend.

I might be able to buy some of you BillyT.

Congrats...

Julies and Brichardi are both step breeders.....several generations can live together and form a colony

One of the most interesting tanks I've ever seen was a 2ft cube in a LFS

Large pile of rocks in the center of the tank....4/5 pairs of brichardi around it and fry of all ages everywhere....spectacular!

Unfortunately there are a lot who want to treat tangs as mixed communities.....when...IMO.... they are most spectacular in a breeding group in a single specie community

Edited by Rod54