Labidochromis Caeruleus

JayT

I only ever see the standard Labidochromis Caeruleus, 'Electric Yellows', available for sale here in Aus. Are any of the different varieties available ? such as;

LC - Lions Cove

LC - Nkhat

LC - Cape Kaiser

LC - Chinyangi

LC - Lundu

LC - Londo

Some of them look really great and if they have a similar temperament i am surprised are not more popular.

Does anyone keep / breed these as i never see them in any LFS's.

I only ever see the standard Labidochromis Caeruleus, 'Electric Yellows', available for sale here in Aus. Are any of the different varieties available ? such as;

LC - Lions Cove

LC - Nkhat

LC - Cape Kaiser

LC - Chinyangi

LC - Lundu

LC - Londo

Some of them look really great and if they have a similar temperament i am surprised are not more popular.

Does anyone keep / breed these as i never see them in any LFS's.

Hi JayT

Not sure of any geographical varients available here in Aust. but it seems there are 3 different types:-

* yellow body with blue cheeks

* yellow upper body with white belly

* pure yellow

Unfortunately these have been interbred and not even sure if these are true variants or ????????

cheers John & Coni

I agree with John although I think that this is natural variation rather than the location itself. With the amount of yellows that have been bread across Oz I wouldnt be supprised if we start seeing pink yellows lol

cheers

John

The yellow body with white belly is colouation of one of the lion's cove variants......

However, I think since this trait is in the gene pool, it is possible to show up in tank bred strains.

I think the pure yellow 'lemons' are a tank bred strain.

The ones in oz as far as I know are just tank bred.

I know in the US and UK Lion's Cove are marketed.

The Lab. c "nkhali" is available and look good as an alternative to yellow.

so some of the variants are around - cool - i like the look of the nkhali as well. Never seen them in any LFS's but they are obviously about if one is keen enough to hunt around for them or possibly bring them in from interstate

Matt - have you kept the nkhali before ? is there temperament much the same ? are they readily available in SA ?

I have Nkhli at the moment. They are much the same temprament as yellows. Males do chase females around a bit more than the yellows do.

They are not readily available in SA. But they soon will be :)

I have Nkhli at the moment. They are much the same temprament as yellows. Males do chase females around a bit more than the yellows do.

They are not readily available in SA. But they soon will be :)

i like the sound of that :thumb

on a different note, not sure if your an AFL fan or not but what the hell happened to the Adelaide Crows last night ? they had that game in the bag :dntknw: might have cost me dearly in the family tipping table this round :angry: as i, unlike just about everyone else i know, had backed the Crows to beat Essendon <_<

i see another person advertising german yellows also wild caught parents ?

do we know if there is any wildcaught yellows in oz ... or just mislead people thinking they bought wildcaught

:)

Archived