Cooders Photos II

cooder

:raisehand: Hey all,

Ive recently bought a Nikon D5000. I havnt had any experience with DSLRs at all so its been a complete learning curve. Had to figure out what shutter speed, f/stop, iso, aperture ect meant and how it affected your photo and i think ive got it down, just need more experience and practice at composing pics! ;) So with my new skills ive set out to make a cool photo thread for ya. Ill start out with just some nice landscapes and a few pics of fish and a couple of macros. *WARNING* you might see alot of sky! :lol2: Any more experienced photographers feel free to give hints and tips. i need all that i can get!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for looking, More to come in later posts...

Nice work mate, its great fun learning how to use the new toys and looks like you have things going well. Nice variety of shots, we seem to have similar subject matter we like to photograph :-). Think my fav is the silhouette of trees with the moon but I like the others too.

Thanks guys, :roll

Ill have to go an take some more. ill do a water change and clean the tank and take some snaps of some of my fish before i get rid of them. gonna leave my calvus alone in the tank to make babies, until i find some cyps or featherfins or something.

BTW when i first took the last pic is was better but i cropped out the powerpole on the right (not completely :B) didnt want it to zoom in but aah well-skis

I shoot in multi format on my canon but mostly use RAW format for processing in photoshop elements as there is a lot more info to work with and less loss. As long as I dont do too small a crop I find it doesnt have a big zoom effect. Hope this makes sense, bit early for me to engage the brain :-)

Heres a few more,

Like my cool border and name? i thought it would make them look more professional lol.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks,

More to come

yeah looking good

like the spiders web (again)

how much did the Nikon set you back ?

Well the camera with twin lens kit was $899 on special + tripod and bag at $100 + $80 extra 2 year warranty. :lol1: they are runing out the 5000 model for the 5100. this was at camera house a week or so after end of financial year.

ill have to go through all the pics ive taken and see which ones are worthy for next post!

Thanks for all the posotive comments so far!

Some great work there Cooder.Love the little Tret

You may like to use a higher f stop to get better depth of field,obviously requires a good flash to also have a fast shutter speed and freeze the action.

Im just learning like you so Im no expert but this is what I mean

F 22 Shutter 1/200 Flash mounted on an arm pointing to the front and at an angle

I never seem to be able to get the crap out of the water or the glass perfectly clean

IPB Image

thats what i was thinking too, also it lets more light into the lens. when im taking pics of my fish i usually use f5.6 or less with ss of about 1/80-100 lets more light in for shots without flash.

EDIT: also i should have used a lower iso for the shot i took of the julie because its a bit grainy. the julie is tricky because hes quick so i have to have a lager shutter speed but then i dont get proper exposure. so i made up for the quicker shutter speed with iso but it made it grainy.

What mode do you shoot in? Also don't be afraid to bump up the ISO when necessary cause its better to get the shot than not at all. A good rule of thumb is to keep your minimum shutter speed at least the same as the focal distance. Eg 300mm = 1/300 sec or more

Works for me at least...

Umm I'm not sure why you would use f22 for photographing fish..? You want the shallowest depth of field possible to isolate the subject from the background... Eg f2.8.

This technique was suggested by some of the very good rainbowfish photographers.These fish are hard to photograph because they are constantly moving.The wide depth of field allow abit more leeway with focus point.Most cichlids stay still allowing precise focus,Cyprichromis are exceptions.Obviously this technique requires a good flash

IPB Image

Yeh thats a point, killi. I Use manual. ill try that when i get my cyps, put the flash compenstion up. or is it down?

me and Todd are getting a shipment of cyps and occies in a week, so ill thoroughly shoot them. when i get them. Also did a rescape of the tank, and added some new sand so ill take some pics of that too.

Also am going to Glass house mountains on a photographing expedition, jokes its just to see rellies, so will bring back some good ones for ya...

Thanks for all the comments,

Cody

Ok got some updates, hope you like them, because i do.

BTW i thinned the border and text cause i think it could have looked like to much? anyway:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks,

Cooder

EDIT: thats weird, why are the pics so big? aah well lol

Well ill take some tank and fish shots when i have my new god occies and cyps. which is on monday.

Thanks for the comments, and more photos to come of course!

Umm I'm not sure why you would use f22 for photographing fish..? You want the shallowest depth of field possible to isolate the subject from the background... Eg f2.8.

Errrrrm not me... I usually shoot between f/16-f/18 when taking pics of fish.

You need a decent depth of field for taking pics of fish.

I usually use f/5.6 because i cant get decent exposure with it on a higher setting, ya need the depth of field, but whats the point of taking the photo if its not properly exposed? I also use the lowest shutter speed possible which is about 1-80, if you go slower they blurr

So basicly you have to find the right balance of f/stop ang shutter speed to get the right exposure and depth of field for the picture your taking.

I find i need slow shutter speed and low f/stop number to properly expose my fish...

except if you use a flash :p

If you dont have a flash you can set manual mode and use the inbuilt light meter.I usually bracket my photos when doing this as the meter averages the light coming in so it may be over or under exposed depending on the composition of the photo So go 1 stop up and 1 down on the light meter.Unless you have serious natural or artificial light for your tank you will have trouble freezing the action

• 1 month later...

*UPDATE!!!!* Hey Again Guys! Its been a little while since i posted up pics so i will continue the thread with some shots of my newest arrivals: My Gold Occies for Mike Miller (aka Noddy65)! i also got some Cyp sp. "Jumbo Mpimbwe" juvies off him but they arnt coloured up properly yet, i might put some up but not now. I got these about a month and a half ago.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

a close up crop.

IPB Image

Here are a few that dont have the tag and border, they weren't in full focus so i didnt boter but they are still pretty cool action shots of the Occies attitude!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hope you liked, Cody

Archived