help with anchoring plants in a tank

Sarah

after going out and buying a stack of plants for my semi american tank , my plants are not staying put in the gravel , its rather frustrating to keep re planting them everyday so wondering what tips people might have on keeping them planted. I have 2mm white gravel as substrate,

cheers

Hi Sarah,

What type of plants do you have? It may be useful to trim the roots if they are too long, and maybe lay a few pebbles around the base. Are your Americans of the digging nature?

merjo

Hi Andrea thanks for tip

i have val and corksrew val and another plant not sure of name , roots are not that long , my fish are the green horsefaces so i know they like to sift the gravel, guess i will add some more gravel today and see if that will do the trick,

no i have the plants situated on the opp end of the tank so i think my fish are the culprits , hmm still got a missing bristlenose too have searched everywhere he is my largest male so dont know how he could just disappear.

thanks for your help smile.gif

Hi Bijengum,

You can get soft metal strips that you wrap around the roots. They work well and are inert as far as the water is concerned.

I thought those "plant anchors" were lead....and I also thought that using lead in my aquarium was not an option unsure.gif .

merjo

I thought those "plant anchors" were lead....and I also thought that using lead in my aquarium was not an option  .

I believe they are an alloy. I have used them for some time. They don't seem to be reacting to the water or causing any problems.

Vals are easy (assuming you have at least 2" of gravel); plant them as deep as possible, and add a root tab. Then stand back! I have some in my goldfish tank, and have to throw some out once in a while as they become invasive.

Hi Poe

whats a root tab, i have never had trouble growing val in my last tank but this lot looks of poor quality so im not confident it will survive, i took off all those metal rings that came attached to the plants i also though that the metal might be toxic for my fish,

thanks andrea and Bijengum

Root tab is the fertiliser stick which available most stores. e.g bunning, woolies, so and so ( my recommend is do it after 2 week as the plant are still weak they might die if too much fertiliser readed this from amano journal)

i wouldnt worry too much just make sure gravel is around 2 inches deep and let time for the roots settle in as they being disturb alot which will need time for recovering.

Do u dose any fertiliser or just grow them with light?

And how much is ur light as in watt per gallon (WPG)

(this plant should be easy to grow).

Hi

I have a 20w light, i have Seachem flourish and a Azoo plant food and the tank light is on for 12 hours a day,

thanks for all your advice its much appreciated

Hi Serah

i forgot to tell u this important factor that root plant are better off fertilise root tab as they will in take neutrien from the root as they dont take in the leave so its not good if u liquid fertiliser.

How big is ur tank again? 20w sound very little maybe anubis can survive .

its a 36x14x18 , should i have double lights on it, remember my other tank had a double reflector on it with 4 tubes and my plants were flourishing.

cheers

Sarah

The root tabs I use are those without N such as from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. If you are getting the root STICKS from Bunnings etc, make sure it's the Fern Root Sticks, and make sure nothing (especially fish that like to dig) will expose the sticks (use 1cm portions) as it will otherwise release Ammonia into the water. I do use them for Echinodorus which require a lot of root feeding.

thanks Poe for all advice, i have americans in the tank my green horsefaces so im not sure if root tabs will be safe with them as they like to sift the substrate

cheers

Sarah

i used a cd rom to anchor the plants down.

i put the plants through the hole of the cd and put substrate/rocks around the cd

i have americans in the tank my green horsefaces so im not sure if root tabs will be safe with them as they like to sift the substrate

Then just the the Aquarium Pharm ones; even if exposed (and I've had them exposed when I first started with planted tanks, and had shallow substrate), it's no biggie, more an aesthetic problem.

Archived