Are there any tropheus that would suit a tang community?

obsessed1

Are there any tropheus that would suit a tang community?

I currently have

2 x Triglochromis otostigma,

5 x Neolamprologus brichardi

2 x Neolamprologus leleupi

2 x Neolamprologus Cylindricus

3 x Julidochromis transcriptus

They are all between 3-6cms and housed in an 8 x 2 x 2

I'm looking for mid to top level tangs and was wondering if there are any T's that would suit this setup.

Thanks, Ben

All Tropheus are the same in behaviour, regardless of variant...

I think that's what you mean by "any T's"

I guess they'd work, maybe try a cheaper and hardier variant like duboisi :)

You might find Brichardi and Trigs a problem down the track however

I had Brichardi spawn in my Tropheus tank and all the Tropheus were in one corner and the Brichardi owned the 7ft tank

And Trigs go crazy when defending territory, mine used to flare up and attack the glass when it could see fish in the neighboring tank

Although in the long term and for breeding purposes Tropheus do better on their own

But for that size tank, why not looking at Leptosoma for the top level tangs and maybe ventralis for mid level

even add some paracyprchrimos nigripinnis too

in a tank that size a colony would work.. see dogboy's 8ft tang community tank, he has duboisi's and bemba's living in harmony with all sorts of tangs, seen it myself and its a sight to behold :) and one i hope to replicate!

All Tropheus are the same in behaviour, regardless of variant...

I think that's what you mean by "any T's"

I guess they'd work, maybe try a cheaper and hardier variant like duboisi :)

You might find Brichardi and Trigs a problem down the track however

I had Brichardi spawn in my Tropheus tank and all the Tropheus were in one corner and the Brichardi owned the 7ft tank

And Trigs go crazy when defending territory, mine used to flare up and attack the glass when it could see fish in the neighboring tank

Although in the long term and for breeding purposes Tropheus do better on their own

But for that size tank, why not looking at Leptosoma for the top level tangs and maybe ventralis for mid level

even add some paracyprchrimos nigripinnis too

Great, thank heaps for that.

I won't be intentionally breeding any as my other half has told me that we "do not have enough room" for me to set up grow out tanks again. :cryblow:

you could try some tropheus, i have 30+ bemba and 15 duboisi in an 8x2.5x2.5 it has leleupi, cylindricus, chalinochromis (similar to julies) black calvus a few cyps and paracyps and a lone brichardi (only one as i dont want them breeding in there). ive never kept trigs so cant comment there.

i am not concerned if they breed in there or not, the trophs are constantly breeding but i think the calvus and leleupi pick off most of the fry. i think the leleupis are paired off but never seen a fry and the challinochromis have bred but just to feed the calvus

Tropheus in a community works for me. I had trigs in there also. I have molirio duboisi Bemba and canary cheek Tropheus in my tank. I havnt come across any problems

Thanks for all of your replies!

I'll have to go for tropheus, Ophthalmotilapia ventralis and some cyps.

Maybe 2 -3 of each of the cyps and ventralis and see how I with the sourcing and pricing of the tropheus.

I'll get rid of the Neolamprologus brichardi as I hadn't realised they were so aggressive :(

Now to choose which type of tropheus! :blink

I'm so glad I went from malawi's to Tangs!!

Sounds good! Would like to see pics when it's up and running

Archived