prawns for food

jimbo

Hi -

I've always used cooked prawns. I've heard rumour that raw ones may be sprayed with some nasty chemical (that gets burn't off during cooking) to stop them going black.

HTH

The stuff thgey put on them is called Sodium metabisulphite (not 100% sure on spelling) and yes it is used to stop prawns from going black. I can get more info on tuesday as to saftey from work from the MSDS, but for safety's sake I would cook them as it will kill any other bugs and parasites on them.

James, from my understanding, it is only with raw prawns. They are sprayed with a formlin type spray to stop them going black while getting sold. As long as the fish are cooked or peeled and then washed, it's not a problem or otherwise cooked prawns are the way to go or catch your own biggrin.gif .

Now who eats the prawn legs when they are BBQ'd?? hhmmm????? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

What about if I want to make frozen food like the one in the Fish Food FAQ?

20% whole uncooked prawns

Do I have to cook the prawns first (to get rid of the nasty chemical) or still stick with the raw prawn?

Regards,

Fishly

You have the choice of risking it, which many people have done (including myself, but I mostly catch my own prawns so only on the odd occasion)

You could peel them and wash them

Or you could cook them.

Personally I am not sure why the recipe calls for "whole prawns" as I dont think many fish actually eat the shell if given the opportunity.

Archived