Eating Fine, White Poo, Slight Discolouration

Jodannar

Hi All,

Today I have noticed that one of my Electric Yellows is having trouble getting rid of his own waste. Its the dominant male in the tank. White stringy faeces. No other fish are showing any symptoms that I can see as of yet.

Potentially bloat or worms. Any ideas?

Should I medicate... let it run.

Tank parameters seem fine.

The peacocks in the tank aren't colouring up too well yet, some have started to show, but one of the brighter blues has definitely faded in colour over the last 2 weeks. I don't think its hormonal.

I would almost immediately suspect intestinal flagellates with white stringy poo.

If it were me I would be trying to persuade any vet that would listen that I need to get my hands on flagyl tablets.

Where would they have come from?

Introduced 2 new catfish to the tank 2 weeks ago. Would think that symptoms would have displayed sooner if they were the cause. Other fish don't seem to be affected at the moment.

Not sure, a but it turns up every now and then. If you let it go too long, it turns their guts to mush and they can't recover.

Treat 500mg per 200L of water twice a day. Grind the tablets into a fine powder and mix into a paste with tank water. Mix this into the tank. Treat for 5 days and 50% pwc on day 3. Raise temp to 30deg C. Plenty of surface agitation.

He also has black discolouration on his upper lip now. May have had a run in with one of the peacocks.

Hes sitting in a cave in the corner of the tank atm. Definitely strange behaviour for a normally dominant fish

Once you find out the price of the medication and the quantities you need to treat, you might be shocked. Since there is stringy poo already it is safest to guess that the whole tank has been affected and needs treatment.

I would almost immediately suspect intestinal flagellates with white stringy poo.

If it were me I would be trying to persuade any vet that would listen that I need to get my hands on flagyl tablets.

If you can't find another source, Jem Aquatics used to sell Flagyl (but it wasn't cheap :shock: )

Yeah. I have had to use it previously with Discus.

Will see how the poop is for the next 24 hours on other fish. He's out and about at the moment. Might have time to duck into Jem tomorrow on my way home. Otherwise Rosco thinks he may have some left

You are far better of mixing metro with your fish food and have your fish ingest the medication rather than add it to the water. If your fish are not eating you can mix into a rounded syringe, be careful when doing so.

Jem didnt have enough / didnt want to sell me enough Flagyl. Sent the better half as she was off work today.

Only had Praziquantel. Worm treatment, she grabbed me some of that.

Yellow has retreated to a cave under a giant rock that he used to be fold of. Didn't come out for food tonight at feeding, rest of the fish are still eating. Doubting he will eat now...

Metro it or Praz?

Archived