Saving fry in display tank

bakes

Hi all,

We have 1 display tank in our lounge,with about 40 mixed africans.We decided we are going to save some fry as usually nothing survives.Anyway brought a fry saver and stripped 2 females-1 crimson tide and 1 Auratus.Had 15 fry between them,this morning i checked the net and theres only 6 left! watching the tank a couple of the fish are sucking the babies through the net...I'm thinking we're going to have to buy a second tank? problem is we're in a unit so not alot of room,any ideas?

Hey Bakes,

Congrats on the fry.

A perspex fry saver is what you want. One of the guys here sells them.

See here --> Click

Its probably a good idea to get another tank anyway to grow them out.

Cheers

Joel

Hi all,

We have 1 display tank in our lounge,with about 40 mixed africans.We decided we are going to save some fry as usually nothing survives.Anyway brought a fry saver and stripped 2 females-1 crimson tide and 1 Auratus.Had 15 fry between them,this morning i checked the net and theres only 6 left! watching the tank a couple of the fish are sucking the babies through the net...I'm thinking we're going to have to buy a second tank? problem is we're in a unit so not alot of room,any ideas?

unfortunately fish can be sucked through netted and plastic fry savers. If you dont want to set up a new tank the best thing to do is either strip and sell the fry of cheap straight away or let them spit in the tank. Trust me this is addictive 1 pair of kribensis has turned into 12 tanks :)

Hi all,

If you want to save fry I would definitely be getting another tank. Not only to hatch the eggs but to grow them on. You can't realistically expect the fish to grow up in a tiny fry saver all their juvenile lives can you? Realistically you would need have two or three times the growout volume as the spawning volume if you want to breed and raise fish.

Its probably best not saving fry at all though as your breeding from a mixed species tank.

Yep, first thing to do would be determine if you have fry that will definitely be "worth" saving.

Depending what your mixed Africans are, they may be more likely to be cross-breeds and it's hard to dispose of 5cm fish when you realise they are not right, once a lot of effort/expense has gone in to raising them.

Even those stores that will sell a cross-bred cichlid will generally pay you nothing for them. Why would they buy auratus x unknown from a breeder for any $$ amount when they can buy a true auratus from a breeder for a couple of bucks?

If you determine your mix has nothing that would crossbreed (unlikely unless you've stuck to decent sized groups of 2-3 distinctly different species.) then you really do need dedicated tankspace to raise fish to the point where you can either sell them, or even move them back in to the dispay tank without knowing they'll soon be a snack.

thanks all for the advice/ideas

-we brought a aqua one 880 corner aquarium to use for fry grow out

-the females that I stripped ,I saw these fish spawning with the males of the same species so all good ,not crossed. But will definately start doing research as too what groups of malawi's i can keep together that wont cross ,but at the same time will be a nice display and raise a few fry from

cheers

Agree with Ducksta,

Buy a plastic tub from the $2 shop and float it on top of your tank water( I use 30x50x12cm) If you have a crossbrace on your large tank it will sit under that fine. Only half fill it and add a airstone with a plastic airvalue to control the air.Your fry will be fine for the first few weeks with daily removeing the rubbish from the bottom.But you will need a tank after that.

stripped 2 females-1 crimson tide and 1 Auratus

these dont crossbred,

unfortunately fish can be sucked through netted and plastic fry savers.

Not sure how fry can be sucked through plastic fry savers ? unless you mean the little ones with holes in them?

Archived