Best way to setup?

cprize

Hi all, ive got a few questions about my tank setups etc and the best way to set them up regarding electricity.

I have the following setup at the moment -

*1 3ft tank 100W heater set on 27C, its got an eheim canister filter running, not sure on specs, but its for a 5 or 6 ft tank i think. Also running an internal filter.

*1 2ft tank 50W with a heater set on 18C, with a tiny internal filter.

*1 4ft tank with a 50W heater set on 27C, with an internal filter.

*1 2ft tank with a 100W heater set on 30C.

*1 45cm tank with a 55W set on 20C.

Are these setups contributing to much of the electricity bill? Or will it not change much from these setups?

Later down the track i wanted to run say 4 x 2ft tanks off one 300W heater and one filter, seeing as it would make more sense heating wise or is it better to run 4 x 55W on seperate tanks? since the wattage would only be 220W.

Thanks.

Any ideas? lol

my thoughts are that it depends on room temp as to how much work the heater has to do , all my tanks are in the lounge room at the moment with the wood heater , room sits at 22 . but i run 300 watt heaters in my 3ft and 4ft tanks .

all my tanks are in the same room besides one, will the amount of tanks i have make a difference? I dont see how theyd make electricty bill go up much more? Lol hope not anyway..

I was just thinking if i plan to get more setup, would it be easier to join them all off one heater instead of seperates..

It all comes down to how much space you have to play with and your budget. In my opinion the most cost efficient method of running a fish room (electricity wise) is to heat/cool the room instead of the individual tanks and running a central airline, with sponge filters....

If you look into the search options you will find there are dozens of threads similar to your post with a lot of different perspectives on how guys run their rooms.... including some great debate on solar options... almost all of them are worth a read.

Hi, yes i read a couple threads on them, i cant heat a whole room till ive got my own house lol.

Ive got most of my tanks in the loungeroom, and probably want to setup another 4 or 5 tanks and thats it.

The best way to do it in my situtation would be individual or is there a more efficient way?

Thanks.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I would have thought the most efficient way would be have one large sump/filter working across all tanks. Couple of 300w heaters in the sump and bob's your uncle.

yeah, thats what i would of thought, maybe it is? I dont have many tanks setup, so maybe 4-5 2fters with a sump and 300w heater will do?

Yep - Although I think a 300w would heat the water in a sump okay, always good practice to have a second one going in case of failure. I have two running (one in sump, one in weir). I have them on a timer to prevent them running at peak times. I easily heat the tank to 26degrees, and I save a lot of money not running heaters at peak.

I run 4 2x18x14 off one 2ft sump and my water parameters are always spot on. If you arent the best DIY I'd suggest looking for a second hand setup on forums, petlink, ebay etc

Would work out a hell of alot cheaper than getting everything brand new. Could easily get a setup for around $200-$400 with everything to get you going.

Edited by Rolla