B/N not active or eating.

andrew.vid

i have a 4 foot tank with about 200 baby B/N's that are about 3cm and the past few days they have been quite and not eating much, normally when they are fed they come out and go crazy over the food but for the past few days it has been the opposite, ammonia and ph are fine nothing wrong. anyone knows whats happening? :confused:

do you have some driftwood in the tank ?

in the past i have always found that BN young have much higher survival rates with plenty of driftwood in the growout tank

when you say your water parameters are fine, what exactly are they ? i have found in the past that a slightly lower PH and softer water can be preferential for the youngsters, once they get to about 5-6cms and larger they are hardy as you'll ever get to nearly all freshwater conditions you can throw at them

Ph of 7.1 should be fine for them. I've kept them and had them breed prolifically in a tank on their own at a ph of 7.5 and similarly in a community tank at a ph of 7.3. At 3cm I wouldnt be shifting the ph at all as I've found them to be a bit touchy still at that size.

My tank with 15 juvies hasnt changed a lot but found they dont seem to want my algae wafers or pellets just now but given the amount of waste they must be getting enough off the driftwood.

Just what worked for me :)

Ph of 7.1 should be fine for them. I've kept them and had them breed prolifically in a tank on their own at a ph of 7.5 and similarly in a community tank at a ph of 7.3. At 3cm I wouldnt be shifting the ph at all as I've found them to be a bit touchy still at that size.

My tank with 15 juvies hasnt changed a lot but found they dont seem to want my algae wafers or pellets just now but given the amount of waste they must be getting enough off the driftwood.

Just what worked for me :)

agree with Priscacara- i wouldn't mess with your ph if it's 7.1 it should be fine.

What about nitrates, nitrites, hardness etc ? do you have plenty of aeration and good filtration in there ?

also are you using any artificial lighting on the tank ?

im not sure of the nitrates level as i dont have a test kit for it, but they seem fine just not as active as my other tanks, and yes i do have mild artificial light but not much i like to keep things a bit dim.

Archived