Green Terror & Jaguar

MrNutter

Just wondering if a Jaguar Cichlid & a Green Terror would be compatible in a 6x2x2ft tank before I actually go out & buy a Jag? Both would be juveniles & so get the opportunity to grow up together. The Green Terror is in the tank already & is about 8cm. The Jaguars I can get are about 5cm. I know that the Jag should really have a slightly larger tank but I'm willing to give it a go in the 6x2x2ft & setting up a clear territory for each is no problem. I also have a Featherfin Synodontis & a Striped Raphael Catfish in the tank but I can move them to one of my other tanks if need be so the Jag doesn't eat them when it gets bigger.

Thanks for any replies & input.

Just wondering if a Jaguar Cichlid & a Green Terror would be compatible in a 6x2x2ft tank before I actually go out & buy a Jag? Both would be juveniles & so get the opportunity to grow up together. The Green Terror is in the tank already & is about 8cm. The Jaguars I can get are about 5cm. I know that the Jag should really have a slightly larger tank but I'm willing to give it a go in the 6x2x2ft & setting up a clear territory for each is no problem. I also have a Featherfin Synodontis & a Striped Raphael Catfish in the tank but I can move them to one of my other tanks if need be so the Jag doesn't eat them when it gets bigger.

Thanks for any replies & input.

Gday MrNutter

I reckon the jag will eventually kill them all.

But not until it gets to about 5"

The Syn eupterous will probably last the longest.

The Green terror (A.rivulatus) are really a peacefull fish.

If you want to get a Jag, then try it with a wolf cichlid, or a trimac or a red devil, or a Fenestratus, petita splendida, Black belts, Zonatum, Cubans, festae or some pike cichlids.

Some really great fish in that list to share with a M. jaguar

Jags need fish that won't scare easy. As soon as a Jaguar or any of the fish that I have mentioned get it over a fish thay will relentlessly pick on that fish untill it dies.

Life is tough with some of these large Americans'

I have a GT and it is living happily with Sevs, both green and gold, Bocourti, pearsei, firemouth, synspilum and other more community type Americans.

I recon you may have a chance given the will be growing up together and in a large tank.

I was given a Jag at 10 inches or so because it murdered all the tank mates in its previous 3 large cichlid communities.Needless to say it got a 4x2x2 by itself and was a favorite family pet until it died because of ammonia spike while I was away.

They can be psychos so another big CA/SA cichlid may be preferable

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sounds pretty much like I figured: depends on the individual personalities of each fish but most likely not going to work long term.

I'm not interested in doing anymore breeding so pairs of anything are out. The only breeding I'll be doing is Convicts for feeders. I'd love to get a Red Terror but they are next to impossible to find over here. Seems the people that have them don't want to spread them around outside of thier little circle of friends. I've got a Red Devil & a Dovii (both juvies less than 8cm) in another 6x2x2 tank & I've tried a Jaguar with both species individually before. The Jag got killed before it reached 8" on both occasions even though it was bigger than either aggressor. Cubans we can't get over here, everytime someone is supposed to get them the shipment falls through for what ever reason. The only Vieja available over here are Synspilum, Melanurus & Maculicauda. I've already got a Black Belt in a 4x2x2 but it is much bigger (bout 12cm) than the Jags I can get & super agro, even for a Black Belt. Some people have adult V. Fenestratus but nobody seems to know where to get juvies from. As you can see the unfortunate thing about Perth is that there isn't a big choice when it comes to aggressive fish.

I think I might give the Jag it's own 6x2x2ft with just a Common Pleco or Gibbi for a tankmate & work out something else to go with the GT. Perhaps a female Convict & a Firemouth would work ok?

Sorry for the long post.

Just an update on what I've done. I've got a female Convict, a Red Jewel & a Firemouth for the 6x2x2ft tank. The GT is considerably bigger than any of them. I had decided a Firemouth was too peacefull for the others but the male I found has the best colours of any Firemouth I've ever seen so I got him anyway. He can stay in the 6ft for another month or two until I set up a 4ft tank for him & find him a few females to pick from.

I managed to find another 6x2x2 brand new for $600 so have been hurting my credit card buying filters, stands etc. That has just been put up yesterday & the Jag will go into it today along with an established filter to help get the bacteria going in the new filters.

Now I just have to work out what else I want to put with the GT, Con & Jewel. If anyone makes any suggestion, no cichlids please, I think the 3 will be enough.

Archived