Brichardi variants

newcichlid

Hi Everyone

Getting back into the hobby with a 3ft tank. Have 1M 8cm 2F 5cm in it. Have asked for suggestions and based on recommendations, probably going to get some brichardi. Was wondering what variants are available in Australia?

Cheers

Eric

Have 1M 8cm 2F 5cm in it.

What type of fish do you have?

I have found brichardi to be a bit of a menace. They eventually take over the tank and become very territorial. Unless you have a gigantic tank I wouldn't suggest them. But that's my opinion

Sorry forgot to write Black Calvus.

What would you suggest? I would like to keep it a simple tang tank.

The tank has 2mm gold gravel, rocks in two piles forming gaps that could be used as caves. One female is using a shell and has laids eggs on one end. The other female is currently on the other with male traveling to and fro.

Been suggested caudos, pulchers, brichardi, leleupi and buesheri.

I would suggest a bigger tank than 3ft for most Tangs unless you were going to go with multies or occies. The comps will get to a decent size it will just take ages. You just want something that isn't to aggressive or territorial.

The calvus will be ok for a while if they are small because they are so slow growing. The caudos and brichardi can be agressive. Not that the calves can't hold their own it's just a small tank for them to each have territory's. Which is why I suggested leluipi (will just keep to themselves). And leptosoma ( swim in open water where no other fish will be). If you plan on the calvus breeding I'd leave them by themselves. Up to you in the end mate

I would look at Neolamprologus Lelupi & Julidochromis Marlieri. Altolamprologus Calvus would be fine in that size tank IME. I would also look at Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis for the top area of the tank rather than Leptosoma. The Nigripinnis are smaller & will be fine in a 3ft tank while the Leptosoma really do need at least a 4ft tank.

I would look at Neolamprologus Lelupi & Julidochromis Marlieri. Altolamprologus Calvus would be fine in that size tank IME. I would also look at Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis for the top area of the tank rather than Leptosoma. The Nigripinnis are smaller & will be fine in a 3ft tank while the Leptosoma really do need at least a 4ft tank.

Cyps and parracyps grow to roughly the same size...

Cyps and parracyps grow to roughly the same size...

Cyps like to swim from one end of the tank to the other, hence the requirement for a larger tank

Paracyps on the other hand barely swim at all, they hover instead and like to hang around in one area within a tank or the water column

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree that Nigripinnis get as big as Leptosoma. I've had one or the other species in every Tang tank I've done except for with my Frontosa & the Nigripinnis never got over 10cm while the Leptosoma get closer to 15cm. Maybe the occasional Nigripinnis will get to 12cm but I've got to say I've easily had 100 of each species & never had a Nigripinnis exceed 10cm yet.

IMO the Nigripinnis would do just fine a a 3ft tank but that's just my opinion & I recommend the OP does some research on each species themselves to get a better idea of wether or not they would work.

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Being a previous MTS sufferer :lol1: I will keep this one simple, most likely add another specie only. Based on comments, I have ruled out many but will look into paracyps. I find the challenge keeping fish, my wife criteria is color she likes. :dntknw:

So ones like julis, caudos, leleupi been ruled out. Am still considering brichardi for the possible challenge of making it work and will look paracyps.

I'm sorry but I have to respectfully disagree that Nigripinnis get as big as Leptosoma. I've had one or the other species in every Tang tank I've done except for with my Frontosa & the Nigripinnis never got over 10cm while the Leptosoma get closer to 15cm. Maybe the occasional Nigripinnis will get to 12cm but I've got to say I've easily had 100 of each species & never had a Nigripinnis exceed 10cm yet.

IMO the Nigripinnis would do just fine a a 3ft tank but that's just my opinion & I recommend the OP does some research on each species themselves to get a better idea of wether or not they would work.

I have also kept 100s of both species. Yes some jumbo cyps can get up to 15cm but there are many varietys that will grow to only 10cm max. Parracyps will also only grow to about 10.

@newcichlid

At the end of the day mate it's your tank and if you feel with your research you can house certain fish together than it's your call. Good luck with it all. Love to see some pics when it's done

Check out Neolamprologus Pulcher. They are identical to N. Brichardi in every way but have yellow through thier fins that is edged in a light blue & also some blue around the gill plate area.

Keep in mind that both Brichardi & Pulcher are rapid breeders & that each previous generation assists in the care of the newest generations. That gives them the ability to take over a tank very rapidly. Best keep only one if you don't want to deal with breeding & yes Brichardi & Pulcher will interbreed & fight each other if kept together.

I have also kept 100s of both species. Yes some jumbo cyps can get up to 15cm but there are many varietys that will grow to only 10cm max. Parracyps will also only grow to about 10.

@newcichlid

At the end of the day mate it's your tank and if you feel with your research you can house certain fish together than it's your call. Good luck with it all. Love to see some pics when it's done

Thank you. I am working on a variant from the brichardi complex first, then later maybe add paracyps. How many would you think I could add? About 6?

Will get pics once manage to secure this variant.

If you grow them from juvies and upgrade the tank size one day as you said then 4-6 should be ok

Back to your original question, the following varieties of brichardi have been circulated in the Australian hobby:

Neolamprologus brichardi "Magara" (most common)

Neolamprologus pulcher "Daffodil" (becoming increasingly rare)

Neolamprologus splendens "Kiku" (rare)

Neolamprologus olivaceus (extremely rare - might be lost)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Bemba Black" (rare)

Neolamprologus crassus (rare)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Green Face" "Fulwe Rocks" (rare)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Black Tail" (might be lost)

Neolamprologus falcicula "Walteri" (Rare)

I currently have "Magara" and falcicula. Friends have "Bemba Black" and we are searching for anyone with olivaceus. All of the above fish are part of the brichardi complex - not necessarily part of the species.

Hope this helps!!

Andrew.

Gee - that'd be a dream come true!!! I don't know how to get in contact with him, so any help would be awesome!

We really need to revive some of these varieties - as with all cichlids in the Australian hobby, there is either a flood or a drought.

Back to your original question, the following varieties of brichardi have been circulated in the Australian hobby:

Neolamprologus brichardi "Magara" (most common)

Neolamprologus pulcher "Daffodil" (becoming increasingly rare)

Neolamprologus splendens "Kiku" (rare)

Neolamprologus olivaceus (extremely rare - might be lost)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Bemba Black" (rare)

Neolamprologus crassus (rare)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Green Face" "Fulwe Rocks" (rare)

Neolamprologus brichardi "Black Tail" (might be lost)

Neolamprologus falcicula "Walteri" (Rare)

I currently have "Magara" and falcicula. Friends have "Bemba Black" and we are searching for anyone with olivaceus. All of the above fish are part of the brichardi complex - not necessarily part of the species.

Hope this helps!!

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Thank you for the info. Managed to source walteri locally in Melb, hoping to acquire 4 fry to get a pair.

Do you need a lot of rock work to house them with Calvus?

Cheers

Eric