tandanus catfish and jaguar cichlid?

pupz

Hi, I want to get a catfish for ma jaguar tank, he is by himself in a 55 gallon at about 13 cm. i was wondering if i could get tandanus catfish in there . i saw one today around 10 cm in length. would the jag eat him or would it be okay, cos i heard these tandanus get pretty big

Hi

Tandanus grow huge! I had one that grew to about 18 inches at which time he started regarding all his tankmates as potential food so I gave him to one of our moderators who put him into a large pond with other large catfish.

Tandanus grow much larger than that even.

Problem I can see in keeping a Tandanus with a large jag is that the tandanus is very soft skinned ( they have no scales) and get easily damaged even scraping themselves against rocks etc in the tank. If the jag got a bit aggro it would do a lot of damage to a tandanus!

Nick

The catfish has a mild toxin in its slime coat, it also has spines in the front of its pectoral fins which can inflict some damage.

The toxin though, is pretty harmless unless you happen to have an allergic reaction to it, which is supposedly fairly common, although I know dozens of people who have been "stung" and only one person who has developed a reaction (small rash and intense itching and burning) That was apparently a mild reaction, and it can be more serious with a heavier allergy.

Having those spines though, wont save it from a jag. And I am not sure if the toxin would effect any fish? And a jag could certainly inflict plenty of punishment on the catty without going near enough to the spines to get a scare. A jag will be unlikely to tolerate ANY tankmate (except possibly a pleco) in a 55 gallon tank.

I used to have the two together no prob's. But the jag was in a 6x2x2 with the cat.

As Duck says - I'd not recommend anything aside a lady jag and a divider in a tank with a single male jao.

HTH -

I'd not recommend anything aside a lady jag and a divider in a tank with a single male jao.

a divider is a MUST cause when the male ready his ready and if the female isnt look out. i almost lost my female from the male bashing her over night. it weird cause the day before they were best friends.

Archived