filtration questions

Migo

Ive been researching filters lately as im about to purchase a 90 gal tank to house malwis, and i was wondering if a fluval 304 and a aqua clear 500 would be sufficient for a tank of this size. I was originally considering a Aqua one ( via aqua) 750 and AC 500 but have read about flow rate problems with Via Aqua. can any comment on this?

Thanks

Having a canister and a HOB sounds like a good idea. Have you also thought of the eheim 2217 along with the ac500? I havent dealt with either Fuval or via aqua however the eheim classic series are great.

Mike

The 2217 at www.legendaquarium.com is $250 and along with the aquaclear 500 for $96 and the $7.50 p/h its great value. If your still keen on the Fuval check out http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/.

Hope this helps

Hi -

Aquaclear are in my opinion excellent filters. Comparable to most cheaper cheaper canisters IMHO.

However 90 gal (NB: We dont tend to measure tanks in gallons in Oz) is 350 litres.Ideally I'd consider a Aquaclear 500 and some kind of other filtration. If you are after cheaper options why not consider some of the DIY trickle filters.

There are 2 designs in the SCP DIY Section.

I made a filter similar to the bucket filter in the DIY section, and including the sump and 4200 L/P/H pump it cost me a maximum of $200.

Of course if your tank is not drilled you may find the above-tank filter more suitable.

Archived