The "M" word

Fins

Hi,

How do you pronounce names beginning with "M"?

Is it silent or is it pronounced as "ma" or something else?

eg: Mbuna, Mpulungu, Mwela, Mwiga, Mboko

Guest Desty

Hi,

How do you pronounce names beginning with "M"?

Is it silent or is it pronounced as "ma" or something else?

eg: Mbuna, Mpulungu, Mwela, Mwiga, Mboko

Ma-boo-na etc...

Having been born and raised in Africa I would have thought Um-Buna etc. Pronounced as OOM-Buna not Um (if you know what I mean blink.gif )

It's like having an apostrophy at the beginning of the word, eg: 'mbuna, just prettend a letter has been left off, so umbuna, oombuna are all close, but make friends with someone from africa and they will give you the lessons i got in pronunciation! biggrin.gif

As in most of the pronunciations we dodgy aussies use, the correct way is not always the most common huh.gif

I say oom-buna, but then also say moop-ulungu (where I guess it should be oom-pulungu). Same as msobo (I say moss-obo but it should be oom-sobo).

Basically, the way we read pronunciation of English words in our Aussie tongue will mostly determine how it comes out, whether it is correct or not.

I think as long as it's easy to determine which fish is being discussed, it's fine to pronounce it slightly wrong.

Luckily for us, most of the conversations are typed here not spoken, so it doesn't come into it so much.

Archived