zeolite filter

Limno

Hi all

I have been having trouble with 'cloudy water' in a BN tank for some time and I put it down to feeding them with zucchini and pumpkin.

But last week I attached a 'slave' cannister to my system to polish the filtered water with zeolite before pumping back to the tank. The results were amazing, the cloudyness has gone and water is crystal clear.

I just used washed pool zeolite and sandwiched about 2 kilos of it between filterwool bats.

Something that I haven't checked but net reports on zeolite talk about its ability to remove ammonia also

cheers

sean

Hi -

The reason the water goes cloudy when you feed veggies is you get blooms of protozoa (parameciums etc) in the water.

The main use for zeolite is as an adsorbate. I'd imagine you would have got similar filtration & polishing with just the filterwool.

HTH -

Hi,

One of my 4' tanks went cloudy so I introduced zeolite to my cannister because I thought that I had an ammonia spike. Initally it fixed the problem so I assumed that I must of had some form a ammonia problem, as I never tested the water. Ever since then I have had 1 to 2 trays of Zeolite. Unfortunately since then this tank has being getting continually worse and is now lime green and no matter what I do I cannot clear the water up, but that is another saga. Just make sure that you replace it after 6-8 weeks as I believe it will have the reverse affect and ammonia will begin toleech back into you tank, I have also made that mistake once.

cheers

PR

Archived