Problems with Via Aqua 650 Cannister filter

Daniel

I have a friend who is having some problems with his 6 month old Via Aqua 650. We measured the flow rate to be about 320lph which is well down on the 1000lph rating of this filter. I understand that filters often run at around 70-90% of maximum flow rates but 320lph against the 1000lph rating is extremely low. This is after I helped him clean out the impellor and housing free of debris very recently. The filter medium does not seem overfilled. It is running in a 120x35wx45h (standard 120cm size tank). He is also battling fish losses which I am trying to help him sort out. Unfortunately, I have never used a cannister filter myself so am still learning about these filters. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the restricted flow rate ? Perhaps its a case of you get what you pay for !

Daniel,

have you tried running the canister without an media in it? Also also make sure that no air bubbles or anything is stopping the impeller? Just a thought

Mike

this might sound stupid... but are the Taps fully open?

also check for kinks in the tubing and give them a clean if they a lined with gunk.

Also as Beardie said... test flow rate without any media.

I agree with Daniel. I have a Via Aqua 650 (which was my very first filter) and I could say the crappiest one. Flow rate is so slow that it would take minutes to fill up a cup. I reckon it even does less than 320l/h.

I would not recommend that filter to anyone.

Yep, i use the smaller one again, the VA 300, its supposed to do 600lph and only really does 200-300lph. I've tested it with no media but not a real difference. I am really dissapointed in them, i think i'll spend the extra money and get a fluval cannister.

Anthony cool.gif

Filter flow rates are optimistic. They are also rated at minimum head. As soon as you place them below the level of a tank on a stand they drop dramatically. I use them purely as biological filters. By that I mean there is no fine media in the cannister so the flow is not restricted. I use a secondary filter either an over hang or internal to filter the particles. This also has the advantage that I don't need to clean the cannisters more than about every 6 months. I generally also have species tanks that are relatively understocked that reduces the load on the filters.

Archived