Blue Acara Fry

psoul

Hi People,

I wonder if you can help me.....

I have just noticed that my Blue Acaras have just had babies on a rock.

This is my first ever fry.

Now these fish are in a 4 foot tank with other Sth Americans

I dont have another tank to put them in.

Will they be safe where they are now. The male is very very protective of the eggs.

Or should I invest in a small tank to put the rock and parents in..

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

you can get these nets that fix on to the side of your tank they are a large square tank made out of net , had i known last sat could have leant u one laugh.gif i have two one made of acrylic, also got a spare 18 inch tank if u do get stuck, most likely if you dont remove them they will get eaten

Are u talking about those fish hatchery nets?

And i have a 15" tank, wouldnt that be too small for them or do i just put the eggs in there and not worry about the parents?

Cheers

Pete

well the eggs need to go into a egg tumbler if you remove them and im afraid i have no idea how to make one though i think you will find instructions on this site

Hi there

If they get to fry here is a simple saver. I have had my GT's spawn for a second time and i have removed the rock that has the eggs on them and placed them in a fry saver , which sinks to the bottom of the tank but remains safe.

You will be surprised what a good job they will do though (the parents).

ok thanks for that.

I will leave them in the tank and see what happens. I have been reading on the net and they have been saying that the parents are very good with their fry.

they dont let any other fish go no where near them...

Hopefully most will survive.

Cheers

Pete

Blue Acaras will try hard to defend their young, but in cichlid terms they are a bit soft, it takes them a couple of spawns to learn what they should be doing. It's easy for the parents to take care of the fry when they are only a few days old and stay in the nursery pit the parents dig but once they age a few days and start swimming off on their own it's much harder for the parents to keep track of the lot, that's when the tankmates will get a few strays.

On the plus side they will spawn like clockwork (every two weeks to the day for mine) if none of the fry are left.

Good luck I really enjoyed watching my pair spawn and raise fry.

Mike

Hi guys,

Just an update. The eggs have hatched and the fry are in a pit which the parents have dug for them.

So far they are guarding prettygood. So I suppose its a waiting game to see when they start swimming what would happen with the other fish in the tank.....

Pete

And i have a 15" tank

Hi and good luck!

Depending on what other fish are in the tank will determine how long your fry will survive.

If you REALLY do want to raise them you will have to act now, while thay are all bunched up nice and tight!

Get at least a 2 footer, if you can, or larger tank, get it ready to recieve the fry and then SYPHON them out into a bucket (remember to put some water in the bucket first laugh.gif ) Then into the tank and off you go! Regular water changes, regular small feeds and watch them grow.

I would get them out and into the 15inch tank you already have in the meantime! rolleyes.gif

Once they start moving around the tank they are impossible or very hard to catch!

Their chances of survival are VERY slim indeed and the loss is a bit hard to take, well for me anyway.

And i have a 15" tank
This is how it starts for MOST of us and then you just keep adding and adding adding and adding wink.gif

Archived