breeding issues

j.s

Hey all, just wanting to hear some opinions about breeding different locational variants of deep water electra.

A few people have told me that Placidochromis Electra has a lake wide distribution and therefore it is perfectly accepted practice to breed different locations together.

By this I mean, breeding Electra from "Likoma" with ones from "Londo" or "Lumboulo", etc.

I dont mean breeding Electra "likoma" with say...Electra "blackfin" or Electra "blue" which is obviously bad practice as they vary significantly in colour and shape.

What do you think?

Yeh I agree.

I've got some Likomas that im growing up and have thought about mixing in some local bloodlines but no one sells electra with locational classifications so I guess it would be risky to assume the local ones are Likoma aswell. dry.gif

Hi Js =

I would not breed any of the varients together. Just because they are widely distributed throughout the lake does not necessarily mean populations mix.

I'm not saying they dont either - I dont know. However, I would strongly advise you not to interbreed any varients.

HTH -

Archived