Clowns have Ich

GreekStylez

Hi All,

My two clown loaches have ich and i want to know how to treat them and prevent it from spreading. I have wardley ick-away although it writes on the expiration date 12/2003 i still used it in desperation. I purchased some tablets that disolve that are for whitespot and increased the temperature to 30 degrees celcius. I am thinking of doing daily water changes what do you all think?

Thanks sadsmiley02.gif

Warm the tank; Clown Loaches are very susceptible to ich is the temp is much below 27C.

Yeap, up the temperature and water changes are good. If your keen, vaccum the gravel.

Any sort of medication is good, just be mindful of other fish in your tank also.

Remember once the white spots have dissappeared, continue all the remedies that you are doing, as white spots have several life cycles and the only part that you can see are the white spots.

I would suggest to continue the water changes every two days for about a week.

Hope this helps smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Gia Sou GreekStyles,

mate I had the same problem with my Clown Loaches. I saw White spots all over them on Friday Morning, By Friday Night I put the dye for whitespot in & my loaches started to detoriate from then. By Sunday night they had died. I wonder if I was too late.

I have heard the best thing for loaches is Aquasonic Ichonex.

Good luck mate

You gotta be quick guys.

With loaches if you see the white spots its usually too late.

You gotta treat them early.

Watch for scraching around to try to get them early.

Cichlids are better capable of surviving with white spot.

You see the spots and cure them easy, unfortunately its diferent with clown loaches.

I had 7 loaches when an out break hit my tank 6 months ago,(Due to one of those crappy blue heaters) and I lost 5 loaches with the cure,.

All the bolivians and catfish survived.

Good article on Understanding and treating whitespot. Id definatly be doing a gravel vac atleast 1-2 times in the 7-9 days after you original treatment because after the cyst (or trophont) drops of the fish it becomes a tomant:

The tomont may swim for several hours before settling on and attaching to the substrate, a plant, or some other surface. During that time it is susceptible to chemicals and medication will be effective. Once attached, it begins its reproductive stage. It encysts and begins rapidly dividing. At this point, it is again immune to chemicals. Within a few days, hundreds of new organisms burst from the cyst, sprout cilia and start swimming in search of a host. - Shelli Wittig

Just trust me and read the article its well worth the 5 mins it takes to read. wink.gif HTH Cheers Andy

Archived