Moving my julidochromis

Richard

Hey guys,

I really want to get my julidochromis pair out of my 6fter as im getting some malawis in there and i really want them to be on their own. They have 2 generations of fry in their rock work/cave and some more eggs in the nest which is located under the rock work.

Im thinking when the 2 generations of fry grow up into a non-eatable size for the other fish so i can move the rock work into the pairs 2fter i am currently setting up. Is this a good idea? What if they dont stop pumping out fry?

Also once i move the pair will they just find a new territory straight away or just keep it cool and not breed? Should i also add their fry in the tank aswell?

cheers

Richard

It's a hard question to answer Richard.

I once moved a very productive pair of Julies and they died.

If I had to do it again I would make sure that the tank was setup in a similar fashion (in my case the tank they moved from had a powerfilter, tank moved to had a sponge filter).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Richard

hi richard

be very carefull, once you disturb these fish the chances of them reforming their pair bond is doubtfull. i can understand your need to relocate,but you must be precise on how you do it, otherwise the female and fry will become a statistic for your note book. think of whats in the tank before adding more. catching julies in a 6ftr with rockwork? haha have fun.cheers; colfish

Richard - some more insight from my expereinces (I'm no expert by the way)

I often stripped down my 3 foot tank (removed all rocks) to catch the Julie fry,

I would then re-setup the tank in exactly the same manner and the parents would breed again.

I have a hunch (unproven) that Julies like the water flow from the power filter...

Be careful on this - hate to see you lose a productive pair.

Cheers

Richard

Until I setup my Julies in their permanent home I had their breeding area set up on a plastic tray. When I had to move them I just picked up the tray with them on it and put in the new tank.

Thanks guys for the insightful advice! laugh.gif

Ill think of a way to move them later on but i guess i can let them be atm.

Bijengum- Ill have to try that when/if i get the pair into their new tank.

cheers guys!

Richard smile.gif

Richard,

The least riskiest strategy might be as follows:

1) Remove 6 fry into your 2 foot tank, let them pair off to form a new breeding pair.

2) Then once you have a new pair you might try to move your old pair (to a different tank of course) with no loss if they don't re-bond! If they do re-bond you can either sell them off or keep two pairs!

You win either way!

Cheers

Richard

Archived