Leptosoma and tropheus can keep together?

madcichlid

Hi All,

For the first time I have seen a adult colony of tropheus in a aquarium setup at a friends place and fall in love with them. My problem is tank space so I was thinking to put some tropheus with my 10 L. kitumba in a 5x2x2ft tank and some tang cat fish.

My question is if I would be able to keep these fish together without any great concern or is it to risky and I'm better off have the tropheus on their own.

Any help greatly appreciated

Ziggy

Hi Ziggy

It is best to keep the Tropheus on there own wink.gif , the lepto's have different diet requirements and the Tropheus would be a bit too aggressive for them sadsmiley02.gif . I have seen Tropheus in the same tank other lake Tang fish but for best results they should be on there own .

Tropheus are not to be entered into lightly. Please, please do as much reading and reserch into these fish as possible. Steve's Tropheus Page is one of the best sites going and has lots of Genuine information that is relevant to keeping and maintaining Tropheus in Australia.

Tropheus and Cyp's will live together quite well, IMO...tho there are many others who will disagree with me. However, here are a few things that will make it much less stressfull than it can be.

Introduce the Cyp's to the tank fiest and let them establish some turf for a week. Introduce the Tropheus at a size when they are smaller than the Cyp's...and ensure that you have enough numbers in your Tropheus group(15 +).

Keep the water changes large(30 -50%) and regular(same day every week).

And most importantly, use Sera-Flora or OSI-Spirulina flake as their only food and do not vary their diet.

The truth is, Tropheus will preffer to have a tank too themselves and they will not be happy sharing a tank with Tang Catty's.

Hi Ziggy!

I have kept LEPTOSOMAS with TROPHEUS before and didn't have any major problems. There was very little aggression. The Tropheus pretty much kept to bullying each other. However, when feeding time comes around the Leptos could not compete with the Trophs in getting food.

My Leptos even bred successfully. However, you must remove all the fry before they leave the mother otherwise the Trophs might try to eat them and you'll run into trouble with the dredded bloat!

If you are serious about Tropheus, keep them by themselves. However, if you love you leptos and you want to experiment with some Trophs keep them together and when you are sick of the leptos or you get a new tank remove them.

Good Luck!

By the way, i have also kept julidochromis and ocellatus with my Tropheus with no problems.

Dave

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback, looks like I may have to keep the tropheus on they own. I added 20 shell dweller with my Kitumbas and it looks very nice indeed, so no tropheus in that tank anymore. That means I have to buy another tank and tropheus are next on my wish list.

Thanks again

Ziggy

Ziggy - 20 shellies in a 5*2*2 - hope you got lots of shells for them! Its going to be interesting to see how they go when breeding time comes around!

Heya Ziggy,

I'm assuming it was your multifasciatus you popped in with the lepto's so yeah, no worries there at all. Don't worry wombat- not like putting in 20 gold occies !!! His colony of multis are without a doubt, one of the best around and the great thing is their lack of aggression when compared to other shellies.

But yes, as with the tropheus, i too am yet to venture in to keeping them Ziggy but would only consider doing so in a species tank.

Andrew.

Thats funny had to laugh. laugh.gif

Not just shellies Willy they are few other fish in my 5 ft tanks which I wanted to shift around to make room for my tropheus thats all changed since I put my 20 hecquis. The hequis must the funniest fish I've got. They are only juvies and already eating out of my hand, they get on with my sandsifters and Kitumbas.

I am happy with the setup now and the tropheus tank is on order so they will stay on their own.

Hi Andrew thanks for your good words the multis are staying in the same tank. You should see it now frys everywhere Anitas are breaking records the spaws are big.

Thanks all Ziggy biggrin.gif

I had some adult T. moorii karilani in a 7' display tank a few years back , while i was on holidays we had some adult leptosomas and 5 B. tricoti 7cm come in so they were put into the 7' tank..

Apparently none of them got to do the first lap of the tank $900 feed time for the tropheous eek.gifunsure.gif

Archived